clinics?

lawsttime

Turtles
  • Law Student
1 minute ago, lawsttime said:

hiii, has anyone heard back from the mediation clinic, parkdale, or the osgoode business clinic yet?

Last year the only time I heard from OBC was when I get an offer on offer day, since they don't do interviews.

• Like 2

ccounsel2024
  • Law Student
19 minutes ago, lawsttime said:

hiii, has anyone heard back from the mediation clinic, parkdale, or the osgoode business clinic yet?

Yes, I heard from Parkdale. So far, I got interviews at Investor Protection Clinic, Parkdale, and the Innocence Project. Haven't heard from OBC or Corporate Finance I yet (but like Turtles said, I guess we won't be hearing from OBC) 

Edited by ccounsel2024
  • Like 1

FrustrationClause
  • Law Student

I have received an interview from Parkdale, rejected from CLASP outright. 

On 2/7/2023 at 2:19 PM, lawsttime said:

On 2/7/2023 at 2:19 PM, lawsttime said:

Have not heard back from mediation yet either. 

• Like 1

LMP
  • Articling Student

The process is so different between clinics. The one I'm part of now already conducted interviews last week. But some places are still not even sending them out. 

FrustrationClause
  • Law Student
On 2/8/2023 at 5:12 PM, FrustrationClause said:

Have not heard back from mediation yet either. 

I got an interview with Criminal intensive today. 

Propertylawnotmything
  • Law Student

Are the clinics giving out their offers next week? I haven’t heard from any of them post interviews.

please disregard my question, I just noticed someone asked similar questions earlier.

Edited by Propertylawnotmything
Oops

ccounsel2024
  • Law Student
On 2/17/2023 at 1:18 PM, Propertylawnotmything said:

Are the clinics giving out their offers next week? I haven’t heard from any of them post interviews.

please disregard my question, I just noticed someone asked similar questions earlier.

Offers for Parkdale are sort of out 

Propertylawnotmything
  • Law Student
21 hours ago, ccounsel2024 said:

Offers for Parkdale are sort of out 

that is earlier than I thought. nice!

Did anyone hear anything from IPC or the business clinic yet?

Propertylawnotmything
  • Law Student

Also, I submitted 4 applications through the clinic programs portal. I used to be able to view all 4 applications, but today one of them disappeared. Does anyone know what this means?

Harvey18
  • Law Student

Does "processing" on a clinic application status just mean it's under review? Curious at it only turned to this from 'submitted' today. 

Propertylawnotmything
  • Law Student

Same here! Not sure what is happening 

On 2/22/2023 at 5:31 PM, Harvey18 said:

Does "processing" on a clinic application status just mean it's under review? Curious at it only turned to this from 'submitted' today. 

Same here! Also not sure what is happening 

km3
  • Law Student
48 minutes ago, Propertylawnotmything said:

Same here! Not sure what is happening 

Same here! Also not sure what is happening 

Did your applications disappear? 3 of my clinic applications disappeared from the application portal... not sure if this happened to anyone else 

Propertylawnotmything
  • Law Student
3 minutes ago, km3 said:

Did your applications disappear? 3 of my clinic applications disappeared from the application portal... not sure if this happened to anyone else 

So I had that happen to me just few days ago. Change the filter on that page from last 30 days to last 60 days and you should be able to see all the applications. You probably submitted your applications few days before the application deadline (which happens to be 30 days ago)

km3
  • Law Student
41 minutes ago, Propertylawnotmything said:

So I had that happen to me just few days ago. Change the filter on that page from last 30 days to last 60 days and you should be able to see all the applications. You probably submitted your applications few days before the application deadline (which happens to be 30 days ago)

Thank you! That was def what happened to mine haha. Did anyone hear back from IPC yet? 

Turtles
  • Law Student
19 minutes ago, BOOMSHAKALAKA said:

Does anyone know what students will do at Corporate Finance clinic?

ABLW I? 

It's about debt and equity financing. So you go through example credit facilities, prospectuses, continuous disclosure materials, etc. All the readings are things like actual examples in the public domain, national instruments, statutes, and case law, no textbook or secondary sources. You're generally expected to keep up and do the readings on your own time + answer 15-30 questions each week, to then be ready to answer the same or additional questions in class (no hiding, they like to cold call or go around the table). It's graded but only on participation plus 3 assignments (1 team, 2 independent). The assignments can be hefty undertakings that take over your life for extended periods. I think our Assignment 1 team project was around 100 pages, while Assignments 2 and 3 were 4000 words each but very dense/technical (think like every 3 sentences being a distinct legal issue you're flagging, explaining, and fixing). Despite on-paper generous deadlines, you usually aren't taught what you need to do the assignments until 1-2 weeks before they're due, so it can be a mad dash that takes up all the oxygen from your other classes. They don't do powerpoints for ABLW I and it's 100% in-person / not recorded and hosted at their downtown office, so you need to be on the ball and paying good attention (and it's not a course you show up late to or in a hoodie). If you have a busy schedule, keep in mind you need permission to miss a class, even if it's snowing and TTC from campus is messed up.

You learn a lot and it's valuable if corporate finance law is something you might want to practice. But it's a hell of a lot more work than what 5 credits might make you think (it should be double that, tbh), and given that students selected into it tend to have between a high B+ to A average, you might find it to be hard to maintain as strong a GPA. (You see some faces wincing when they hand back assignments with a B or C+ to students used to getting B+ or As exclusively in law school).

Edited by Turtles
  • Thanks 1

Turtles
  • Law Student
36 minutes ago, Turtles said:

ABLW I? 

-clip-

One thing I'll add: ABLW I does NOT satisfy praxicum. ABLW II does (FYI: you don't need ABLW I for ABLW II). Basically every other intensive or clinic satisfies praxicum, so it's an easy mistake to make. That means you will need to either take another clinic / experiential course in addition to ABLW I in order to graduate. Despite how much you'll be writing, neither ABLW I nor ABLW II satisfies upper-year writing requirement either, so you also need to plan to take at least one paper course during the academic year.

• Hugs 1

hola123
  • Law Student
3 hours ago, Turtles said:

ABLW I? 

It's about debt and equity financing. So you go through example credit facilities, prospectuses, continuous disclosure materials, etc. All the readings are things like actual examples in the public domain, national instruments, statutes, and case law, no textbook or secondary sources. You're generally expected to keep up and do the readings on your own time + answer 15-30 questions each week, to then be ready to answer the same or additional questions in class (no hiding, they like to cold call or go around the table). It's graded but only on participation plus 3 assignments (1 team, 2 independent). The assignments can be hefty undertakings that take over your life for extended periods. I think our Assignment 1 team project was around 100 pages, while Assignments 2 and 3 were 4000 words each but very dense/technical (think like every 3 sentences being a distinct legal issue you're flagging, explaining, and fixing). Despite on-paper generous deadlines, you usually aren't taught what you need to do the assignments until 1-2 weeks before they're due, so it can be a mad dash that takes up all the oxygen from your other classes. They don't do powerpoints for ABLW I and it's 100% in-person / not recorded and hosted at their downtown office, so you need to be on the ball and paying good attention (and it's not a course you show up late to or in a hoodie). If you have a busy schedule, keep in mind you need permission to miss a class, even if it's snowing and TTC from campus is messed up.

You learn a lot and it's valuable if corporate finance law is something you might want to practice. But it's a hell of a lot more work than what 5 credits might make you think (it should be double that, tbh), and given that students selected into it tend to have between a high B+ to A average, you might find it to be hard to maintain as strong a GPA. (You see some faces wincing when they hand back assignments with a B or C+ to students used to getting B+ or As exclusively in law school).

Thanks a lot for your detailed info. Seems like I need to give it serious consideration...

Propertylawnotmything
  • Law Student
3 hours ago, lawstudent232323 said:

anyone else waitlisted? 

does it say waitlisted under application status? mine just shows application submitted.

ccounsel2024
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, Propertylawnotmything said:

does it say waitlisted under application status? mine just shows application submitted.

I got waitlisted for ABLW I this afternoon and I received an email from the clinic saying I was waitlisted. I'm trying to see if I can accept another clinic offer and then accept ABLW too if I get off the waitlist but honestly the Osgoode experiential team hasn't been that responsive 

Edited by ccounsel2024

LMP
  • Articling Student
1 hour ago, ccounsel2024 said:

I got waitlisted for ABLW I this afternoon and I received an email from the clinic saying I was waitlisted. I'm trying to see if I can accept another clinic offer and then accept ABLW too if I get off the waitlist but honestly the Osgoode experiential team hasn't been that responsive 

They won't let you do that, if you accept you gotta stick with it. 

Unless you mean doing two clinics, which is technically possible (assuming one of them is a low credit clinic) but you'll have to justify it. It isn't an easy sell.

• Like 1