Ottawa OCI in-firm call backs

sarcasticlemon

sarcasticlemon
  • Law Student

Hey guys, I’ve heard Gowling sent some in person invites already, could we start a thread for other firms which have already begun/have sent out invites for in firms?

newbie99
  • Law Student

As a reference, uOttawa students tend to receive a lot more in-firm invites during the Ottawa recruit than every other university. With that being said, call day for in-firms are February 9th at 8 pm. So you should start seeing a lot more answers under this thread.

sanment
  • Law Student

Does getting an invite to an in-firm interview for the 15th (so day 3) mean the firm is not really that interested in you?

Diskbaby997
  • Law Student
14 hours ago, sanment said:

Does getting an invite to an in-firm interview for the 15th (so day 3) mean the firm is not really that interested in you?

It depends...

- Is it one of the bigger firms (BLG, NRF or Gowlings), if yes, those firms tend to hire the most students so I wouldn't be too concerned, especially since uOttawa hasn't even done their OCIs yet.

- You may not be their first pick, which is okay because they are still interested in you... firms will not waste their time just for the sake of it.

capitalttruth
  • Articling Student

I understand call day for in-firms is tomorrow at 8pm. Can firms send out ITCs before then?

WhoKnows
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, Diskbaby997 said:
15 hours ago, sanment said:

It depends...

- Is it one of the bigger firms (BLG, NRF or Gowlings), if yes, those firms tend to hire the most students so I wouldn't be too concerned, especially since uOttawa hasn't even done their OCIs yet.

Some of those firms will have 60+ 1st round in-firm interviews to schedule, that's like 15+ a day at around 45 mins to an hour per candidate in time. 2 interview teams at least of 2 lawyers each, so you're talking around 30 hours per day of lawyer time your trying to schedule. 

Add in trying to match practice areas or interests and some folks will get third day interviews just because that's when the two lawyers the team wants them to interview with are available. You have an interview? You have a chance. 

Edited by WhoKnows

alibp
  • Law Student
44 minutes ago, capitalttruth said:

I understand call day for in-firms is tomorrow at 8pm. Can firms send out ITCs before then?

I don't think call day is officially tomorrow. Firms (BLG, Gowling, McMillan) have already started scheduling in-firm interviews since this Monday. 

bubbles
  • Law Student
1 minute ago, alibp said:

I don't think call day is officially tomorrow. Firms (BLG, Gowling, McMillan) have already started scheduling in-firm interviews since this Monday. 

I believe it's call day for in-firms tomorrow at 8pm for uOttawa students, since our OCIs take place February 8-9.

sarcasticlemon
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, alibp said:

Do you know which other firms have already begun scheduling?

loonie
  • Articling Student
3 hours ago, alibp said:

BLG has not scheduled in-firms yet from the best of my knowledge. The majority of ITCs will be sent out tomorrow evening through Friday.

capitalttruth
  • Articling Student

Gowling got back to me. In-firm on the 15th. They are my top choice but not sure how to feel given that I think the 15th is the second day for Ottawa in-firms?

• Like 2

Diskbaby997
  • Law Student
59 minutes ago, capitalttruth said:

Gowling got back to me. In-firm on the 15th. They are my top choice but not sure how to feel given that I think the 15th is the second day for Ottawa in-firms?

did you oci with gowling today or yesterday?

capitalttruth
  • Articling Student
1 hour ago, Diskbaby997 said:

did you oci with gowling today or yesterday?

Yesterday

capitalttruth
  • Articling Student
2 minutes ago, frenchie said:

Was it by telephone? If yes, what time?

I got an e-mail today, around 10:30 am

capitalttruth
  • Articling Student

Anyone hear back from anywhere else? RavenLaw, McCague Borlack, NRF, Soloway Wright, or Nelligan?

alibp
  • Law Student

Has anyone else received calls from firms and scheduled the interview, but still hasn't received a follow-up e-mail with the details? 

torontoad
  • Law Student

Still haven't heard from Soloway, LaBarge, or Nelligan. I got an email from Dentons with an invitation to interview, but no date or time booked yet.

sarcasticlemon
  • Law Student

I'd also love to know re:Stikeman, but im assuming if nothing is heard by tonight then they went with other people