UBC vs UofC

Canlaw

Canlaw
  • Law School Admit

I have offers from UBC, UofC, and UVic but am mainly looking at UBC and UofC. I would prefer to live in Calgary over Vancouver due to the cheaper cost of living, access to banff and Kananaskis, and the climate (much prefer cold and sunny to rainy), but I am not currently tied to either location. I am originally from Ontario and have connections that could lead to a job there if I wanted to return. I have an idea of some areas of practice I might want to pursue but I am definitely not set on anything. I am interested in BigLaw and want to make sure it is a viable option. I have gathered that UofC is a good option if I want to practice in Calgary (which I currently hope to do) and that they place well in the region, but potentially not elsewhere. I have no desire to work in Toronto so I don't care too much about my chances of getting a job on Bay St. However, I do want to make sure that I am not seriously limiting my career opportunities if I chose to attend UofC over UBC. Is the likelihood of landing a BigLaw position in Calgary/Vancouver much higher for UBC students than UofC? Does attending UofC significantly limit any other opportunities (government, clerkships etc.)? Is the education itself going to be noticeably different at either school? Any input is appreciated, thanks!

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

I was faced with the same choice, decided to go to UBC and don't regret it, but I think UofC is a better choice for you. Given your preference to work in Calgary and stated career interests, any advantages that UBC has to offer don't exceed the advantage that UofC has in terms of your ability to get involved with the legal community there throughout law school.

• Like 1