Queens vs. Western vs. Ottawa

specter101

specter101
  • Applicant

Hi everyone! 

I would be grateful to hear everyones opinion on Queens vs Western vs Ottawa for a prospective student who wants to keep their options open (I'm not sure what I want to pursue at this point but so far I have seriously thought about corporate law and health law). Also, if anyone can provide guidance on these universities' rank within Canada (for example, which is ranked best) and globally that would be greatly appreciated. Additionally, any other considerations you may have would be great to add too. Thank you!

LMP
  • Articling Student

Queens and Western are fairly comparble schools and I think both would surpass Ottawa for your purposes. 

Western has a reputation for leaning into the corporate stuff a bit more but I'm not sure how much impact it has on outcomes. Still, I'd say Western would be the more corporate leaning choice while Queens gives you the versatility. Thought I honestly don't think it'd matter too much, you'd be fine deciding based on what city you like best. 

I'll briefly revisit Ottawa to clarify that it isn't a bad school. I think they have a health specific program you can take (though I'm always skeptical of what 0Ls think health law is). Ottawa also has a famously intimate relationship with some of the federal public service offices.

Honestly, given what you've expressed, I'd pick Queens. I think that would be the best fit based on your post. But obviously do your research, talk to current students and visit the campuses if you can.