Uottawa vs Osgoode vs Queens

lawstudentss

lawstudentss
  • Applicant

Hi everyone!

I should preface by saying I am not sure what area of law I want to pursue other than being preliminarily interested in a bunch of fields, including criminal law, corporate law, family law, or teaching law at a university. I honestly want to keep all my options open. My issue is that I am unsure whether the reputation of a school would outweigh the additional cost to go there if I'm not super sure I want to pursue corporate law. I can live at home rent-free and not pay for groceries if I go to Uottawa, whereas I will be relying on loans and a student line of credit for living expenses for all other schools. This, from my calculations, would make Osgoode the most expensive, queens a close-ish second, and Uottawa much less so (about 1/2 the price of Osgoode or less even). 

This would be my first time taking on loans, and if I'm not set on getting a super high-paying corporate job, would it make more sense to stick with Uottawa? On the other hand, if I wanted to do corporate law, would it be so much of a disadvantage to go to Uottawa? what about the other sections I mentioned, like criminal law? 

I know finances are super personal and specific, and no one can really say for sure what to do, but I just want outside opinions since no one I know has been through the process. Thank you so much in advance for any advice!! 

ArchivesandMuseums
  • Articling Student
1 hour ago, lawstudentss said:

Hi everyone!

I should preface by saying I am not sure what area of law I want to pursue other than being preliminarily interested in a bunch of fields, including criminal law, corporate law, family law, or teaching law at a university. I honestly want to keep all my options open. My issue is that I am unsure whether the reputation of a school would outweigh the additional cost to go there if I'm not super sure I want to pursue corporate law. I can live at home rent-free and not pay for groceries if I go to Uottawa, whereas I will be relying on loans and a student line of credit for living expenses for all other schools. This, from my calculations, would make Osgoode the most expensive, queens a close-ish second, and Uottawa much less so (about 1/2 the price of Osgoode or less even). 

This would be my first time taking on loans, and if I'm not set on getting a super high-paying corporate job, would it make more sense to stick with Uottawa? On the other hand, if I wanted to do corporate law, would it be so much of a disadvantage to go to Uottawa? what about the other sections I mentioned, like criminal law? 

I know finances are super personal and specific, and no one can really say for sure what to do, but I just want outside opinions since no one I know has been through the process. Thank you so much in advance for any advice!! 

You need to carefully consider/decide where you would practice. uOttawa may be a better choice only if you would practice law in Ottawa.

When you are unclear about what areas/places you would practice, I'd choose stronger schools. I would say Osgoode will be a better choice.

goodisgood
  • Law Student

I think going to a school where you need to take on debt may shoehorn you into certain areas of law. I agree that you need to consider where you want to practice, but also consider what you want to do. 

Going to uOttawa does not preclude you by any means from pursuing Corporate law in Toronto (subject to grades, work exp, and extracurriculars). It also leaves open Family Law and Criminal Law. 

Going to Osgoode will give you a better shot at Corporate law in Toronto (subject to the same factors). But if you're not even sure if you want to do that, take some time to reach out to practicing people in each field you're interested in for short coffee chats. It will help you get an idea of what a work day is like, what these lawyers do, and what the difficult aspects of their job may be. Last thing you want is to take on debt, feel the "corporate or bust" pressure (very common) and not pursue stuff you would actually enjoy. 

Edited by goodisgood

SlippinJimmy
  • Applicant

Osgoode is the best school out of these options. If you are not sure what you would like to study yet, mind as well strive for excellence and go where the opportunity is best. Go with Osgoode, congratulations! 

Chewy
  • Law School Admit
40 minutes ago, SlippinJimmy said:

Osgoode is the best school out of these options. If you are not sure what you would like to study yet, mind as well strive for excellence and go where the opportunity is best. Go with Osgoode, congratulations! 

I don't agree. Osgoode has one of the highest tuitions in the country. Along with having to rent in Toronto, this would definitely be the most costly route to go and unless money isn't an issue for you (which in your case it is), this could be detrimental. 

You're not sure which area you want to practice in and that's fine. Any of these schools will open up opportunities for you if your grades are strong enough. I don't think that the "prestige" or "reputation" of Osgoode outweighs the actual cost it would take to go there. You can go to any of these schools and do corporate, criminal, health, family, etc. The only reason why I'd choose Osgoode over the others is if I really wanted to do Biglaw in Toronto. Not to say you can't practice that if you go to the other schools, but I believe they place more students there than Queen's and Ottawa. 

I would choose Ottawa in your case. You will save tens of thousands of $$$ in living expenses and tuition and still graduate with a JD from a great school that will provide you with plenty of opportunities if you can achieve the grades required.

On 2/8/2023 at 12:20 PM, lawstudentss said:

Hi everyone!

Are you eligible for on-campus housing at Osgoode?

Chef Justice
  • Law Student
On 2/15/2023 at 4:09 PM, Chewy said:

Any of these schools will open up opportunities for you if your grades are strong enough. I don't think that the "prestige" or "reputation" of Osgoode outweighs the actual cost it would take to go there. You can go to any of these schools and do corporate, criminal, health, family, etc.

I 100% agree with this. I think going to Ottawa for 1/2 the price of Osgoode should be pretty clear cut. Osgoode is a great school but it's simply not worth the money saved in this situation. Even if you want to do Biglaw in Toronto, it's not like that door is magically closed if you go to Ottawa over Osgoode, just a little more difficult; it will still depend heavily on your grades.