Western VS OttawaU VS LASL, Please help!

Iwantsomeoffers

Iwantsomeoffers
  • Applicant

Hi everyone, I am still waiting for my top choice's response but I can't stop thinking about how to make a choice between the three offers I've got so far. I will start with my personal situation. So I am currently living in GTA with my child. If I choose LASL, I don't have to move. I do have more family from my husband's side in GTA but my husband and I are in the process of a seperation and I will have the full child custody.  I graduated from a Western U's M.A. program in 2019 and I am familiar with WesternU and its support systems - including a housing program to help single parents. Right now, I don't have any family from my side living in Canada. But I can probably get my parents here to help out when law school starts, however neither of them speak English and I know they will get bored easily in London, which will add on my stresses. 

English is my second langauge, and Toronto has the most populations who speak my mother tongue. I prefer to pursue Corporate Law with an international focus and has a goal for the BigLaws. But of course I am open to other opportunities as well. Although Toronto Biglaws is my goal, honestly speaking, I don't mind working and living in Ottawa after graduation if the opportunity is good. Which university would you choose if you are in my situation? 

LMP
  • Articling Student

There's a lot of things to balance here. Your career goals, your family, your living prefrances, I can see why it is a hard decision! 

If corporate big law is your goal (something that will have its own set of challenges) then Western is the way to go. The school has much stronger placement numbers than your other choices and a better overall focus on corporate law. 

But that's just one factor, from a logistical perspective the benefits of staying in a city where you have something of a support net (here it gets murky, I don't know how close you are to your husband's family or to what extent your parents would be motivated to stay in Toronto). You also avoid the stress of moving or changing any ties you have in the area. Again, I'm not sure but I'd imagine there are schools, doctors, daycares that you are already with. If those are compelling factors and you're willing to accept that your odds of biglaw may shrink, LASL would probably be your choice.

I'd say Ottawa probably isn't the choice for you. It doesn't sound like you have any real desire to go there. The school does somewhat better than LASL in terms of corporate oppertunites but if that's the deciding factor you should just take Western. I guess they do win out on cost but not by a large enough amount to justify your move. Especially if you can get housing from Western. The distance form your support network is also a factor, London is a doable trip from the GTA. Ottawa not so much. 

• Like 1

Iwantsomeoffers
  • Applicant

Thank you so much @LMP for this comprehensive response. I will evaluate my support networks in Toronto and London and think again! 

Xxyz
  • Law Student

This is not school related advice, as frankly I am in no position to speak to that, but I do have some experience struggling with turning down opportunities due to lifestyle considerations. 
I don’t know what your work or personal situation is, but if you are able to I would highly recommend travelling to each school before you decide. See if you can set up in person meetings to discuss family housing, childcare options (if applicable), and how the school can support your goal of going into big law in Toronto. Then, take some time to walk around the area and picture your life there. Ask yourself if you truly believe that school can support your ambitions and meet your needs. Ultimately (and keep in mind that this advice is general & coming from someone who has never been to law school) people are generally far more successful in environments in which they are happy and feel supported. If you can foster that community for yourself more easily at one school than the others, that is probably the direction I would head in.
Best of luck and I hope your #1 choice comes through with an offer for you 🤞

• Like 1

Iwantsomeoffers
  • Applicant

Hi @Xxyz, thanks for your response. This is really helpful. You know what, I really plan to visit each school in person with my son and my husband (he will still be my support person) in late Feb and early March as they all have welcome day. 

Thank you so much! I saw you are an applicant too, go for your dream and I am sure you will achieve a lot! 

• Like 1