Re-applying Personal statement question

ellewoodssupremacy

ellewoodssupremacy
  • Law School Admit

Hi everyone, 

So I applied to law school this year and have been accepted to a school I would gladly attend. Unfortunately I have a parent who has just been diagnosed with cancer and since that school is in another province I will be declining to stay home with them. For background info, all law schools I applied to were out of province so I will be delaying law school for at least one application cycle. 

When I choose to reapply sometime in the future - do I need to explain why I had to decline my offer the first time in my personal statement?

Thank you

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

macamillion
  • Applicant

^I would say the same as the person above. First off, I'm so sorry to hear about your parent. I'm sending you and your family good wishes. This is a totally valid reason for a deferral. If you email the dean with this information, they should be able to grant it. If not, you could definitely explain it on your personal statement, but I'm not totally sure if you would have to? 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
A_uwaterloo
  • Applicant

Very sorry to hear about your parent. Please take care and stay strong. Best of luck