Dean's Welcome

starbuxlawyer

starbuxlawyer
  • Law School Admit

Hi all! Does anyone have any information on whether this event is actually 7-8 hours long or if it's more informal where you can drop-in/out. 

Also - if anyone has any ideas on how to dress (it says casual but is it?) that would be very helpful! 

Jade
  • Applicant

Basically it's a morning event with like breakfast and we listen to speakers and hear from the dean for an hour. then we mingle for an hour and meet other students and faculty. then they're planning some sort of scavenger hunt to get you to explore campus i think. i had a chat with Lori over the phone and that's briefly what she said so it will be a morning-early afternoon event. none of it is mandatory though so you could probably just drop in/out. more details coming this week i believe.

these are my notes from the call: 

March 6 - Monday

all day deans day (but basically just morning/afternoon.)

Morning - breakfast

1 hour speakers

Alumni and faculty and deans

2nd hour - get up walk around, meet others

Scavenger hunt

More speakers

Allen hannah - jid faculty member; importance of indigenous laws

• Like 2

starbuxlawyer
  • Law School Admit

Thank you so much! If anyone wants to discuss outfits, please do! I'm really lost on what to wear since it won't be really warm yet 

kollykibbler
  • Applicant
14 minutes ago, sleepyandneedscaffeine said:

Thank you so much! If anyone wants to discuss outfits, please do! I'm really lost on what to wear since it won't be really warm yet 

I’ll be there. I think any outfit you would usually wear to classes will work fine, especially if they’re going to have us moving around for a scavenger hunt. I haven’t given outfits much thought, but for this sort of thing I would wear some sort of casual jacket, cords or jeans, and Converse.   If there was a dinner I might dress up a little more. 

• Like 1

lawfacade123
  • Law Student

If this is the event that they put on for all admitted students, it really doesn't matter if you go or what you wear. The school is trying to convince undecided students to pick UVic. If you already accepted, etc. it's just a chance for you to meet people and maybe make some connections ahead of school starting. Show up however you would usually dress when you're meeting new people in a casual setting. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
knockknock
  • Law School Admit

I'm assuming it's going to be quite a small group of people going? I noticed the fb group for uvic admits is only 32 people and probably not everyone is going in person.