When do first year associates start? i.e. time off after articling?

LawFirmDude

LawFirmDude
  • Law Student

Hey everyone,

I will be articling at a big full service firm in Toronto, and I am trying to budget for paying off my law school debt while renting and living in such an expensive city lol.

So, does anyone know how much time off we are typically given after articling? Does it change firm to firm? I have heard that places usually take you back at the start of September, which would mean all of June through August off... I guess I could travel, but again I'll be broke so...

Thanks!

fettuccinealfredo
  • Law Student

I'm not sure about biglaw, but at my old boutique firm, the articling students became associates with no time in between unless they specifically took PTO.

KOMODO
  • Lawyer

You could ask your student director to be sure. Precedent also publishes hireback numbers by firm with start dates, so you can check there to see when your firm's students started last year, or just ask a first year associate. Most start in September to allow people to travel (usually financed by LOCs), but if you don't want to and the firm is busy, they might be happy to have you start earlier than usual.