Did you bring a notebook/notes for recruit interview?

charliechoco

charliechoco
  • Law Student

I was wondering if it would be okay to bring a notebook with questions to ask or just to remember minor information incase I forget. 

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

In my experience it would be odd for a student to look at notes during an in person interview. 

When I was a student, it was common for students to have notes about each firm/interviewer that they referred to while moving from firm-to-firm or during breaks in their interview schedule. 

Mr_Boogie
  • Law Student

I brought a notebook to my in-person and online interview with the questions I intended on asking them and took notes as they answered. I would say it is not an issue since I got a call back for an interview to that firm within an hour of my interview.

t3ctonics
  • Lawyer

I recommend taking a notebook or pad of paper to jot down a few notes during an interview, but I agree with @BlockedQuebecois that it would be strange for an applicant to be looking at notes during an interview, at least for more than a quick glance. You don't want it to be a distraction. 

For some interviews I have brought a notepad with a few points to ask about written down in brief. For the articling recruit I think my notes looked something like this:

• How is work assigned?
  • How is performance assessed?
  • What does the firm do for mentorship, talent development, education, etc.?
  • Any opportunities for client contact?

That said, I asked every firm the same questions, and I don't think I needed these written down at all. I guess it was kind of a safety blanket in case my mind went blank, but that didn't happen.

Last year I interviewed for three more senior in-house jobs. For those I didn't bring any written questions for the initial interviews, but I did take notes. Once I was selected as the preferred candidate there were follow-up calls and interviews to go over potential terms, and for those I brought notes with specific questions about things like annual increments, bonuses, benefits, vacation, pension, work from home options, etc. Having those items written down helped to ensure I got all the information I needed to negotiate or make my decision. Now, you usually won't be able to negotiate any of this stuff for the articling recruit, but I highly recommend getting into it for future positions, particularly in-house as the details (and value) of compensation and benefits can vary widely.

17 minutes ago, t3ctonics said:

I agree with @BlockedQuebecois that it would be strange for an applicant to be looking at notes during an interview, at least for more than a quick glance. You don't want it to be a distraction. 

I had a family doctor who used to look down at his clipboard, ask me something like "how is ... Dalhousie University?" Once, when I said, "it was good, but I graduated last spring", I saw him cross something out and write something down. You'd probably want to be a little more subtle than that in a recruit interview.

• Like 1

Ohshmagoda
  • Lawyer

I think it’s acceptable/common to have a notebook on you for your own reference before the interview, and to jot down notes after an interview.

I think it’s uncomfortable as an interviewer to have an interviewee taking notes during the interview, or referring to their notes live. I think people got away with this during zoom interviews because it was less obvious when it was happening. I would strongly encourage applicants not to do it in an in-person interview. It’s a rare choice so it stands out and has always been commented on negatively. None of the inferences that can be drawn are good (i.e. does this person not know that there is no quiz later on my hometown; are they not prepared; are their questions genuine or did they assemble a list to fill the time; etc.).

On 2/17/2023 at 7:56 PM, Ohshmagoda said:

I think it’s acceptable/common to have a notebook on you for your own reference before the interview, and to jot down notes after an interview.

I think it’s uncomfortable as an interviewer to have an interviewee taking notes during the interview, or referring to their notes live. I think people got away with this during zoom interviews because it was less obvious when it was happening. I would strongly encourage applicants not to do it in an in-person interview. It’s a rare choice so it stands out and has always been commented on negatively. None of the inferences that can be drawn are good (i.e. does this person not know that there is no quiz later on my hometown; are they not prepared; are their questions genuine or did they assemble a list to fill the time; etc.).

I agree with this generally, do not take notes or use your notes to answer questions during the interview. I do think that it is fine to look at your notes when it comes to asking questions, not constantly but once to make sure you didn't miss any questions you wanted to ask. 

SomeEdmontonDude
  • Law Student

Bringing a note pad with questions written down is fine. I always do this, and I leave room to take notes as they answer.

In an interview, you are interviewing the firm as much as the firm is interviewing you. If they are gonna take notes when you answer their questions, why shouldn’t you take notes when they answer your questions. 

I always ask before i start my questions if I can take notes, and I have never received negative treatment for this. Quite the opposite actually, many firms were impressed.