PLTC and working

bluejay

bluejay
  • Articling Student

Hi all

I'm am due to enroll in the PLTC this year. I have just started my articling period.

I am yet to receive materials but I understand that the PLTC is pretty time-pressured in terms of reading, classes and assignments. I also understood that students are generally expected to be out of office for the entire duration. However, my principal is asking me to consider working during this time, at least part time (eg weekends). I was pretty surprised at this suggestion and I'm concerned that this will pile on time pressure, especially in the lead up to exams.

Has anyone experienced PLTC whilst working? I was really hoping to have the entire time to read/study, but that may not be an option for me.

I just need to know if it is likely do-able with, say 15-20 hours of work per week on top.

Thanks

TrashGoose
  • Law Student

The Law Society of British Columbia has a rule prohibiting your employer from requiring you to work during PLTC.  I am sure some employers require it, but they are not permitted to.

• Like 1