Advice on post-2L Summer recruit

capitalttruth

capitalttruth
  • Articling Student

I am one of many who have been in this same position, but it is still painful. 

I am wondering if anyone who has succeeded in getting a job in the ottawa market who failed to get a job in the summer recruit has any tips. I made it to final round interviews/receptions at 5 firms, so the lack of calls on call day was particularly devastating. I have only had one clerkship interview to date, as well. I worked so hard and it feels like a huge waste. I am turning 32 in April and the lack of long-term employment is disturbing.

I don't want to do family, personal injury, wills and estates, or real estate. It seems that a lot of smaller firms in Ottawa do that sort of thing. I was just wondering, beyond that, is there any way to find a good job in Ottawa? I am interested in public law, admin, labour, immigration, negligence litigation, and aboriginal law.

Edited by capitalttruth
  • Hugs 8

capitalttruth
  • Articling Student

I appreciate the support, everyone! Did anyone who has been in this position have some advice, particularly in relation to the ottawa market? I'd like to stay in Ottawa, preferably.

TheChosenOne
  • Lawyer
46 minutes ago, capitalttruth said:

I appreciate the support, everyone! Did anyone who has been in this position have some advice, particularly in relation to the ottawa market? I'd like to stay in Ottawa, preferably.

Get off this forum and start building real connections with lawyers. 

• Like 4

oatbox
  • Law Student

If it's some consolation, I know someone who interviewed with over 10 firms during OCI summer recruit, struck out, and landed their dream firm through articling recruit. It's hard not to feel demoralized (the process is demoralizing) but I think it's worth it to know there are other ways of landing jobs and being proactive with reaching out to lawyers and firms you're interested in. If you look at stats from Ultra Vires - only around 47 students got hired through OCI summer recruit in Ottawa last year - there's no way that all the other hundreds of applicants didn't land fulfilling and stable jobs other ways! Best of luck and you got this 🙂

Edited by oatbox

ZukoJD
  • Law Student

Are you subscribed to the Canadian Bar Association mailing list (can't remember if this is automatic)? Seems like they host interesting events regularly. Maybe this one coming up would interest you: https://www.cbapd.org/details_en.aspx?id=ON_ON23STU02X

If I were still looking for a job, I would be attending these kinds of events, adding all the speakers on LinkedIn and sending messages to ask for a chat to try to build some connection. 

Edited by ZukoJD

capitalttruth
  • Articling Student
11 minutes ago, ZukoJD said:

Are you subscribed to the Canadian Bar Association mailing list (can't remember if this is automatic)? Seems like they host interesting events regularly. Maybe this one coming up would interest you: https://www.cbapd.org/details_en.aspx?id=ON_ON23STU02X

If I were still looking for a job, I would be attending these kinds of events, adding all the speakers on LinkedIn and sending messages to ask for a chat to try to build some connection. 

This is a good idea. I was checking out the CBA Aboriginal Law Conference - I'm going to register.

• Like 2

goodisgood
  • Law Student

Hey, on the same token as @ZukoJD's advice, you may also want to subscribe to relevant Lawyers' / Bar Associations where you have aligning interests, or you're part of the relevant ethnic group, etc.

For example: https://cila.co/ is the Canadian Immigration Lawyers Association

I know of FACL (Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers) and CABL (Canadian Association of Black Lawyers) off the top of my head and I know others must exist. Some of these offer mentorship programs.

You may also consider cold-emailing. It sounds daunting and will probably be a bit of a shot in the dark, but it's worked for people on this board before. Even if you don't succeed this time, it may plant the seed for an articling position or something down the line.

On the subject of planting seeds, I know some people hate coffee chats/networking but even if it doesn't get you a job it can be pretty valuable to learn about a firm's usual work and the vibe of the people working there. It can also be nice to show genuine interest when you're not technically there to ask for a job -- I actually lucked out and got an interview off of something like that even though my original intent was to just learn more about the firm and the people working there. 

bubbles
  • Law Student

LinkedIn is also a really great ressource! The jobs section always has legal intern/summer law student jobs available at mid-sized/boutique law firms, government, in-house, etc. You'll find that many people in the legal profession and recruiters post/repost job opportunities as well. 

piranesi
  • Law Student
11 hours ago, bubbles said:

LinkedIn is also a really great ressource! The jobs section always has legal intern/summer law student jobs available at mid-sized/boutique law firms, government, in-house, etc. You'll find that many people in the legal profession and recruiters post/repost job opportunities as well. 

Would you mind going into a bit more detail about this? I almost never see these in the job section, but maybe I'm just looking at the wrong place/time :') 

sarcasticlemon
  • Law Student

There needs to be a support group for law students with no 2L job prospects🥲 I have heard that the articling recruit is much larger however, so not all hope is lost yet. 

chilly
  • Law Student

To chime in with an opportunity that may be of interest to you, given your areas of interest and interest in clerking, my careers office recently sent out this opportunity for judicial internships: https://ciaj-icaj.ca/en/judicial-internships-across-canada/ . It seems like an experience that could be helpful for articling applications down the road.

Not in Ottawa, but: In addition to the articling recruit, many classmates who struck out in 2L recruits landed really great jobs (which they hadn't really considered or known much about) through our careers office's other postings. The fact that you've gotten far in recruit interviews and received a clerkship interview should be evidence that you are an accomplished student and strong candidate. 🙂