Career Options

Hayesy-B

Hayesy-B
  • Lawyer

Hey everyone, I'm thinking of looking into the possibility of making a job change and am looking for some additional advice/opinions. 

For a bit of background, I work at a corporate boutique - I do mostly M&A, tax re-orgs, and some regulatory stuff.  I articled there and have worked there since being Called last June.  I don't hate the work or the firm, but I don't enjoy the workplace culture.  If at all possible, I would like to have another job lined up prior to resigning, as I am fairly certain that my current employer will take my resignation personally.  In terms of where I would like to work, ideally another similarly sized firm doing the same type of work.  I'm not necessarily set on the size of firm, but I don't want to change practice areas. 

I guess my questions are:

1) What's the market like for people with my level of experience in my practice area?  I haven't done much job searching yet, but a lot of the jobs that I see posted on job boards look to ask for 3+ years of experience.  

2) Should I reach out to a recruiter?  I assume this would be my best bet, but just wanted to confirm.  A few have connected with me on Linkedin in the past, but if anyone has specific recommendations as to a certain person/agency, I'd appreciate that as well. 

3) Should I stick around until my bonus is payable in a few months and then look to leave?  My gut reaction is yes because my bank account would welcome the cheque, but at the same time I don't wan to sit on my hands and miss an opportunity, only to start looking at a time where the job market may not be as strong. 

Hayesy-B
  • Lawyer

Lol just realized I posted this in the Summer and Articling Students thread.  I can't delete it, but maybe it can be moved to somewhere more appropriate?