UOttawa vs UNB

dogsinlaw

dogsinlaw
  • Applicant

Looking for some input on comparing the two schools as I am stuck on making a decision between the two. For background, I am from Southern Ontario so either school would be a big move regardless. Looking for input on the schools themselves, living situations, $$, city etc. I am really stressed out on making a decision soon. 

Thank you! 

dogsinlaw
  • Applicant
21 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Where do you want to practice after law school? What kind of law are you interested in?

I will probably come back to Southern Ontario but nothing is set in stone.  

Based on previous work experience in law, I am leaning towards corporate law or condo development/real estate but that also can change. 

If it helps for cost of living, wherever I am moving, I am bringing two dogs and my boyfriend, so looking to rent a townhouse or house, no apartments. 

Chewy
  • Law School Admit
20 minutes ago, dogsinlaw said:

I will probably come back to Southern Ontario but nothing is set in stone.  

Based on previous work experience in law, I am leaning towards corporate law or condo development/real estate but that also can change. 

If it helps for cost of living, wherever I am moving, I am bringing two dogs and my boyfriend, so looking to rent a townhouse or house, no apartments. 

I would choose Ottawa in your case. Even though it's not set in stone, go to school in the province where you want to practice. Chances are your preference will be Ontario over the Maritimes. I am assuming Ottawa has more corporate opportunities than NB. Cost of living in Ottawa is pretty good. I don't know what rentals go for these days, but there are a lot of great neighbourhoods close to the campus. If you want more info on that just send me a DM.

scooter
  • Law Student

They're very different places - Fredericton is tiny compared to Ottawa. Where would you rather live? I think a major consideration should be you and your boyfriend's lifestyles and how that matches up to the city. UNB will be a lot cheaper but you'll also be living in a city of 50,000 people for 3 years. Not necessarily a bad thing but it's not for everyone.