Dal vs Queen's vs TRU vs Ottawa

Modalage

Modalage
  • Applicant

Hello,

I got accepted to these schools and have a hard time deciding. For reference, I am from Calgary and would like to move back here after law school for my articles. I unfortunately did not receive an acceptance from UCalgary and did not apply to UAlberta (dumb mistake I know), so I am moving away regardless. My partner is also moving with me so I am also taking into account his job prospects as an architect. In terms of cost, I think they're all pretty similar but please give me your input if I am safe to assume this is so!

1. Dalhousie - I've been to Halifax and my partner did his undergrad here too. I love the city although it's more quiet than Calgary and extremely windy in the winter. I'm actually working for the City of Calgary and I've heard from my boss that she came across quite a bit of Dal law grads working in the City, but of course this is anecdotal.

2. Queen's - I love the idea of going to Queen's but more worried on how the city is and my partner's job prospects as it is a smaller city. Rent also seems to be cheaper here compared to Halifax (?)

3. TRU - I don't like the university that much. The only pro is that it's the closest to Calgary and might be more beneficial for OCIs.

4. Ottawa - I don't have strong opinions about UOttawa but I am considering working for the govt and I've heard that they're the strongest in that area.

* I am more concerned with choosing a school that will give me the best chances to go back to Calgary/Alberta and job prospects for my partner to transfer in. If I am missing anything to consider, please don't hesitate to let me know. I appreciate all the input!!

scooter
  • Law Student

You can see how many students from each school got 2L summer jobs in Calgary last year here: https://ultravires.ca/2021/11/calgary-2022-2l-summer-recruitment-numbers/ - The numbers are small, so I wouldn't read too much into them in terms of comparing your schools. I think the important take away is that you can get a job in Calgary from any of the schools you listed. I don't think that any of the schools you listed will give you a significant enough advantage in the Calgary recruit that it should be your deciding factor.

If you're applying from out of province, being able to demonstrate that you intend to stay and live/work in Calgary long-term will be helpful in the recruit. This is obviously fairly straightforward for you since you're from Calgary.

In general it's probably safe to assume that larger city = more architect jobs, but maybe your partner can do some asking around on the architect forums 😂

Between Queen's and Ottawa I would say Ottawa 100%. Comparable schools, better job prospects for your partner in Ottawa, overall less depressing city lol. I have heard from friends that if you're not a student, Kingston can be pretty bleak.

Dalhousie and TRU I know very little about so I'll let someone else speak to that.

Edited by scooter
repeated myself haha

HarryCrane
  • Articling Student
On 2/27/2023 at 11:11 AM, Modalage said:

3. TRU - I don't like the university that much. The only pro is that it's the closest to Calgary and might be more beneficial for OCIs.

What do you not like about TRU? 

• 2 weeks later...
Modalage
  • Applicant
On 3/1/2023 at 10:31 AM, HarryCrane said:

What do you not like about TRU? 

It just doesn't interest me as much as the other universities. I applied to TRU as a safety school.

Modalage
  • Applicant
On 2/27/2023 at 7:36 PM, scooter said:

You can see how many students from each school got 2L summer jobs in Calgary last year here: https://ultravires.ca/2021/11/calgary-2022-2l-summer-recruitment-numbers/ - The numbers are small, so I wouldn't read too much into them in terms of comparing your schools. I think the important take away is that you can get a job in Calgary from any of the schools you listed. I don't think that any of the schools you listed will give you a significant enough advantage in the Calgary recruit that it should be your deciding factor.

If you're applying from out of province, being able to demonstrate that you intend to stay and live/work in Calgary long-term will be helpful in the recruit. This is obviously fairly straightforward for you since you're from Calgary.

In general it's probably safe to assume that larger city = more architect jobs, but maybe your partner can do some asking around on the architect forums 😂

Between Queen's and Ottawa I would say Ottawa 100%. Comparable schools, better job prospects for your partner in Ottawa, overall less depressing city lol. I have heard from friends that if you're not a student, Kingston can be pretty bleak.

Dalhousie and TRU I know very little about so I'll let someone else speak to that.

Thank you so much, it's a relief to hear that! And yes, I'm down to Dalhousie and Ottawa at this point so I'll take what you said in consideration!