UOttawa vs Queens vs U of C vs U of A

LegalOrangutan

LegalOrangutan

Hi Everyone, at this point in the application cycle I've been accepted to UOttawa, Queens, U of C and U of A, and I'm still waiting to hear back from a few schools (UVic, UBC, and Osgoode). I currently work in the public service and I ~think~ I want to pursue environmental law within the public service - but there's a very big emphasis on the THINK. I'm originally from BC and think I may want to come back when I decide to start a family, but I'm ok to move to a different province for some period of time and maybe even permanently. I'm wondering if anyone has any insights into comparing these schools; from what I've gathered: 

a) school specialization: UOttawa seems, by all accounts I've heard from government lawyers, to be a great option if I want to work in government - but how hard am I "pigeonholing myself" into government law if I go to a school that isn't focused on corporate law? Is the option to do corporate law still there at UOttawa? Because from what I know, U of C and Queens (?) would probably be much better options if I want to do corporate law

b) location: I've heard mixed things about Ottawa as a city - some people say it's nice, some people talk about it like a complete shithole. I have lived/been to Calgary in the past, and it was fine - probably not much better or worse than ottawa, just a very different vibe. Any insight into which city is more livable + fun to be in? and the cost of living?

c) job opportunities - I've heard talk of there being limited job opportunities and articling opportunities in Ontario because of there being too many lawyers. On the other hand, multiple people have told me that the Calgary legal market is very actively hiring, ie, there's a lot of need for lawyers and not enough of them living there. Anyone have insight on whether or not either of these things are actually true? 

d) reputation - it seems to me that all of the schools above are pretty reputable, and that in the grand scheme of things this probably won't play a huge role in determining whether I can actually get a job. However, the school I probably heard the most about when I was a kid was Queens, and at least at one point it seems to have been really highly ranked. Does this actually matter? Would a school like Queens have a broader array of opportunities + more employability than the other schools because of its reputation?

thanks so much everyone!