US internships

neonisblue

neonisblue
  • Applicant

Wondering if anyone has experience working at a US-based company as a summer legal intern?

I'd like to get some law-related experience after 1L and I've been seeing a lot of in-house summer opportunities come up in the US, but I don't want to waste my time applying for those if they don't hire Canadian students. None of the postings I've seen so far say they only accept US applicants, but want to make sure there aren't any implied restrictions I'm not aware of. Thanks!

When I was looking, I applied everywhere in the English speaking world to around 150~ firms and companies. For the most part, restrictions were more implicit and included questions about the right to work, law school “tier”, etc. 

I don’t go to McGill or a GTA school, so it may just be me, but I didn’t hear back from any of the US majors. Mind you, if you are an all-star, US citizen, or have a connection, things could be easier. 

Interestingly, I had the most luck with British/Australian law firms and companies. They did not screen me out immediately - but later in the process. Good luck!

• Thanks 1