uVic Inclusive Chances with Low GPA (3.0) and median LSAT (165).

bamboocrab

Hey Everyone, 

Looking to find out if there is anyone who has been accepted into the inclusive category with a very low GPA and sporadic undergraduate performance who would be willing to offer some advice. After searching these forums, it seems like almost always inclusive applicants are accepted with lower than average LSAT scores (150's), rather than lower GPA's. 

As someone who has applied before unsuccessfully (waitlisted), I will be looking to improve my stats before the next cycle if I am not admitted this cycle (not looking good). I would much rather rewrite the LSAT than spend significantly more money and time trying to improve my GPA and returning to University as a mature student. However, I am curious to know whether there is reasoning for the pattern I see noted above. Of course there could be many different explanations, including there are simply more inclusive applicants with low LSAT scores vs low GPA.

My question is whether anyone knows of admissions committees favoring GPA over LSAT for inclusive applicants? Would I make myself a better candidate by improving my very poor GPA rather than my already "good" LSAT score? It seems like many people with the reverse of my stats (good GPA, low LSAT) are accepted under the inclusive category but almost never the reverse (much less frequent).  Advice is appreciated, thanks. 

AeroVan26
  • Law School Admit
On 3/6/2023 at 3:00 PM, bamboocrab said:

My question is whether anyone knows of admissions committees favoring GPA over LSAT for inclusive applicants? Would I make myself a better candidate by improving my very poor GPA rather than my already "good" LSAT score? It seems like many people with the reverse of my stats (good GPA, low LSAT) are accepted under the inclusive category but almost never the reverse (much less frequent).  Advice is appreciated, thanks. 

Hey there, I got an offer from UVic Law in the inclusive category. My LSAT score is mid 160's, GPA was low due to unforeseen circumstances - UVic has a holistic process for admissions in this category, but it still took me a few cycles to get an acceptance. The only thing I did different for this years application was to re write my personal statement, get better reference letters, and rewrite the LSAT to improve my score. Lori from admissions encouraged rewriting the LSAT to show your growth and ability to learn continuously despite having a a lower GPA. 

Edited by AeroVan26

9 hours ago, AeroVan26 said:

Hey there, I got an offer from UVic Law in the inclusive category. My LSAT score is mid 160's, GPA was low due to unforeseen circumstances - UVic has a holistic process for admissions in this category, but it still took me a few cycles to get an acceptance. The only thing I did different for this years application was to re write my personal statement, get better reference letters, and rewrite the LSAT to improve my score. Lori from admissions encouraged rewriting the LSAT to show your growth and ability to learn continuously despite having a a lower GPA. 

Many thanks. I'm glad to hear returning to school is not the only/best option. I will look to improve those other components you mentioned for next cycle If I'm not successful, cheers.