Do all Canadian Law schools on a national or provincial standard for textbooks?

luigimcloud

luigimcloud

Hello,

My name is Joe, I'm working on finishing my BBA, and am looking towards doing my LSAT and then hopefully Law School. The title says it all, is there any standard to Candian Law Textbooks on a national or provincial level? (If it helps, I live in BC and would be  planning to likely go to one of the Law Schools here if all goes well.) And if so, would anyone be able to provide me a list of said textbooks so that I can study the material on a consistant basis to prep for Law, or perhaps a list of recommended books to prep for my LSAT and Law School. Any help concerning this querry would be great!

Thanks!

scooter
  • Law Student

The LSAT has nothing to do with substantive law content, don't waste your time reading law textbooks before law school. Just look at LSAT prep specifically.

There are lots of threads on the forum about LSAT prep - if you search you'll find recommendations about books, websites, etc.

If you search for posts about how to prep for law school, you'll find a lot of advice about whether it's worthwhile to read law books before law school (it's not).

• Like 1

luigimcloud
3 hours ago, scooter said:

The LSAT has nothing to do with substantive law content, don't waste your time reading law textbooks before law school. Just look at LSAT prep specifically.

There are lots of threads on the forum about LSAT prep - if you search you'll find recommendations about books, websites, etc.

If you search for posts about how to prep for law school, you'll find a lot of advice about whether it's worthwhile to read law books before law school (it's not).

Thanks for the heads up, however, I am still curious as to whether there is a standardization in law books nationally or provincially. Would you happen to know?

Renerik
  • Law Student
10 minutes ago, luigimcloud said:

Thanks for the heads up, however, I am still curious as to whether there is a standardization in law books nationally or provincially. Would you happen to know?

All the books for your first year courses will contain cases from multiple Canadian jurisdictions. My property textbook is used at UofA, DAL, UWO, and other schools. I suspect that only Quebec has their own textbooks because of civil law.

Reading them ahead of time is pointless, most legal textbooks are collections of cases with minimal commentary. You need a professor to tell you "this isn't the same in Ontario; this only exists in New Brunswick; Albertan courts have adopted the dissent instead of the majority opinion." Most importantly, you won't know what's important or how to find it without a professor holding your hand for a few weeks.

sunshinecoast
  • Articling Student
20 minutes ago, luigimcloud said:

No, there is no standardization. At my school, two different professors teaching the same course sometimes use different textbooks and cases. 

• Like 2