Undergrad grades in law school

osgoode2323

osgoode2323
  • Applicant

How much do your undergrad grades matter during law school? Will these be looked at and assessed in any way? 

LMP
  • Articling Student

Employers will ask for them. I think some clinics might too? They maintain a level of importance but your law school grades will always be the real focus. 

Chewy
  • Law School Admit

Some schools will use them to determine if you are eligible for internal "internships" in some of their programs. For example. Ottawa has a Santeship where you apply to work with a professor on a legal issue regarding Health law. They will refer to your undergrad grades when reaching a decision while also taking into consideration your cover letter. 

13 minutes ago, LMP said:

Employers will ask for them. I think some clinics might too? They maintain a level of importance but your law school grades will always be the real focus. 

How do you think this would apply to "Mature" students who completed their undergrad 7+ years ago?

LMP
  • Articling Student
9 minutes ago, Chewy said:

How do you think this would apply to "Mature" students who completed their undergrad 7+ years ago?

Completely antecdotal but in my experience when you've got some work under your belt, that tends to be the focus of interviews. 

I always had to submit my undergrad grades but all I remember discussing was my past jobs and intrests. But, of course, I don't know how my marks were viewed behind the scenes.

Chewy
  • Law School Admit
11 minutes ago, LMP said:

Completely antecdotal but in my experience when you've got some work under your belt, that tends to be the focus of interviews. 

I always had to submit my undergrad grades but all I remember discussing was my past jobs and intrests. But, of course, I don't know how my marks were viewed behind the scenes.

Fair enough, appreciate the insight. Gives me some peace. 

Olive
  • Law School Admit

In these instances would there ever be an opportunity to submit an addendum to explain lower undergraduate GPA? I applied in the discretionary/access category to most of the law schools that I applied to and I am worried about how my undergrad transcript may impact my opportunities for internships/clinics/etc.

LMP
  • Articling Student
14 minutes ago, Olive said:

In these instances would there ever be an opportunity to submit an addendum to explain lower undergraduate GPA? I applied in the discretionary/access category to most of the law schools that I applied to and I am worried about how my undergrad transcript may impact my opportunities for internships/clinics/etc.

I haven't heard of anyone doing this and personally would avoid it. Like I said before, while you do have submit your grades that doesn't mean they'll be pivotal in a firms decision making. 

No need to draw attention to a weak undergrad transcrip. Rather than justifying it, show what's changed by demonstrating strong law school marks.

• Like 2