Organizing a Line of Credit in UK/Europe?

ramoj

Incoming 1L at Osgoode here. Currently on the other side of the pond doing a post-graduate degree and I had a question:

How does one organise a line of credit while not in Canada? How much time do I need? I won't be back in Canada till at the very least, mid-July.

Any help appreciated as I am sooo stressed about this!!! 

Oh and PS -- is there a Class of 2026 FB group yet? Should one be started if not?

LMP
  • Articling Student

I don't think I ever had to physically interact with anyone to get my PSLOC. You can do it all virtually.

msephora
  • Law School Admit

I work at a bank and is common practice for credit applications to be done via phone/email and use electronic signature. A bank may want to verify your ID in person if you’re a new client; best bet is to use the bank you have an existing relationship with. Also I’d work with a branch advisor vs the call centre. At my work, the majority of call centre advisors end up forwarding the paperwork to the branch for signing/activation anyways. Plus this keeps you with one advisor which is nice!

As for timing, you’ll need to wait until you have a confirmation of enrolment anyways. But all the major banks have programs specifically for JD lines of credits so it’s a pretty quick process from there - provided you don’t have any major concerns on your credit bureau.