How Can I Exceed Expectations as an Articling Student?

Orbis

I start my articles soon. I am prepared to work as much as I need to in order to impress the powers that be but beyond merely working hard and doing good work what else do I need to do to really make an impression and exceed expectations? Appreciate all constructive input.

Aureliuse
  • Lawyer

Make sure you follow the instructions of your assignments carefully, clarify immediately if you are not clear. It is frustrating when some students don't follow instructions.

Take initiative by volunteering to assist and take time to learn. 

Stay late if the partner you are working under is working late (ask first however if necessary - there are some work that would not be given to articling students).

Spot mistakes and report them immediately.

Maintain professionalism at all times - including no jokes, sarcasm, off-hand remarks, quips about clients, opposing counsel, or anyone else involved in the case no matter how much you dislike them.

Admit your own mistakes and apologize. Small mistakes caught early can be remedied almost immediately.

Edited by Aureliuse
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

BondGuy
  • Lawyer

All good advice. Some additional points from a transactional lawyer's perspective: 

• Seek clarification on what the deliverable is I'm looking for at the outset.  If I ask for a "quick" memo, I do not want a 35 page treatise into the history of the law. I want something I can use.  Senior lawyers are busy and often will just delegate without being clear. They're human too. 
  • Don't be afraid to ask intelligent questions. A person asks an easy question once looks dumb for a second. A person who never asks looks dumb for years. Articling students are just that: students. It is expected. Better to ask at the outset and get it right, then come to me at the last minute and we end up scrambling trying to correct for a student's incorrect assumption. 
  • Try and solve a problem and come with your thoughts. They may not be "right", but it shows you're developing the skill of working through something. Similarly, try and come with a proposed solution and not just a problem. Don't "delegate up" when you can help it. 
  • Thanks 1