JD/MBA

Pennepasta

Pennepasta
  • Applicant

Hi everyone,

I am a regular JD UofT admit starting September. I am thinking of potentially applying to the JD/MBA combined program after 1L. My goal is corporate NYC firms. In your experience is it necessary to have an MBA for that? If so
do you guys have any tips or advice for the MBA application?

Edited by Pennepasta

gm2606
  • Law Student

This depends on a few factors, some of which you won't know until you start law school. It's certainly not a requirement to pursue the JD/MBA to secure a NY BigLaw job. People who make distinction (top 10%) or who have undergraduate business degrees typically don't need it. Others may tack on the MBA to boost their chances, as it is helpful in both the NY and Toronto corporate recruits. If I recall correctly, some NY firms even do targeted recruiting for the JD/MBAs. 

In any case, no need to stress too much about it now. The Rotman admissions office hosts info sessions for 1Ls who are considering adding the degree. I'm not aware of anyone who has had their application rejected if they applied as a 1L. For now, just try to enjoy the summer and rest up!

• 1 month later...
Turtles
  • Law Student

An MBA is neither a necessary nor sufficient condition. The only necessary condition is a law degree.

But that's not the right question.

Will it help?

Yes.

Will it help a lot?

Yes.

Will it help enough to overcome the time, money, and/or energy it might to get the MBA?

Maybe, that really depends on how much help the person needs (e.g., are they top of their class vs average vs  marginal at best) and what time, money, and/or energy it would take them to get the extra degree (core curriculum waived due to undergrad? does the material come easy or will it be hell? scholarships? bursaries? get to use the MBA year to also make money or will be full-time student? etc)

I agree with the advice above. See how you do in 1L and then apply into it if you need it, don't if you don't.

But mostly for others who may find this post in the future, as I dont want readers to take away that it's unwise to consider or apply to a JD/MBA program before 1L starts, a caveat to my advice is that it might be smarter to apply into a joint program before starting law school in certain circumstances:

The four main advantages of electing to do the MBA well before you start 1L would be (i) if you have been out of school for a while and want to start with the MBA as a soft year where grades don't matter much to get back into the studying mentality before delay starting 1L (where grades matter a lot) the year after, (ii) if you had some extra special scholarship opportunity you could lock down by applying to the program that might not exist (e.g., because it's taken by someone else) when you apply next year (unlikely if you're applying this late in the cycle), (iii) to be able to call yourself a JD/MBA Candidate on your resume for the purposes of the 1L recruits  (while JD/MBAs do better than non-JD/MBAs, anecdotally I think firms in the 1L recruit favor second year JD/MBAs more than first-year JD/MBAs so I don't see much advantage in calling yourself a JD/MBA if you're a first-year in a four-year program -- it's easy for them to assume they can hire you next year in the subsequent 1L  recruit without having for to pay you 3 whole summers), or (iv) if you're at risk of not being competitive to get into the joint program based on your 1L grades by the time you can apply next year but for sure are competitive based on current grades (it's not a high bar tobget in during or after 1L though, and if this was the case, NYC would probably be out of the picture anways, unless your 1L grades are low only because you weren't ready to be a 1L student, in which case (i) above might be wise).

For OP, probably just figure it out next year. If you're strong on NYC, the nice thing about the JD/MBA is you have more summer associate recruit cycles to apply to. Also, Bay St -> NYC is a seasoned path. Although the market may be declining right now, it may bounce back during your degree or by the time you are an experienced Bay St associate, or you might be competitive anyways or just get lucky. 

Edited by Turtles
  • Like 3