Mature Student - Queens vs Dal

Zedd

Zedd
  • Applicant

Thanks in advance for your input.

Mature student returning to school in my late 30s with a young family. Currently debating between Queens and Dal while waiting for either UBC or uOttawa to confirm my application status. 

Any consideration between these schools from a mature student perspective? I will be converting my job to part time and have a 4 year old daughter to consider in balancing lifestyle of a new location and manageable workload while in school. Halifax feels a bit romantic as an opportunity to live on the East Coast for a few year while Kingston seems lower cost and closer to Ottawa where we have family. We’re moving from Vancouver so anywhere should be less expensive than our current cost of living.

Any members return for a JD later in life while balancing family responsibilities? Open to all practical considerations and advice 

• 1 month later...
Boberson
  • Law Student

I'm a mature student at Queen's and am loving the atmosphere. Cost of living wise, Kingston is more expensive to rent or purchase a home. It's one of the few markets that didn't take a huge hit when prices started to fall. But maybe you're referring to other factors, such as heating, groceries etc. 

Having children myself, I would choose to be closer to family. If you choose Queen's, hit me up! Just finished 1L and would be happy to mentor!

MontyBurns
  • Law School Admit
23 hours ago, Frankie576 said:

Wouldn’t recommend Dal if you’re a mature student, speaking from experience.

Why's that? Curious as I'm a mature student intending to go to Dal in September.

Frankie576
  • Law Student
4 minutes ago, MontyBurns said:

Why's that? Curious as I'm a mature student intending to go to Dal in September.

Didn’t feel supported as a mature student and the vast majority of students were quite young.

• Like 1