Lost Political Science Major With no Options but Law School

Raphy

Raphy
  • Applicant

Hey everyone!

The title pretty much gives away the current mess I am in. I majored in political science, thinking that I would go to law school in the future. Now, I'm not sure about going to law school and if I'm ready for debt and an additional commitment of three years. Our financial conditions are also not the same, and very soon I will have to support my immigrant parents.

If I do go to law school, I will definitely have to work part-time even in my first year to be able to afford basic expenses, but judging by what most people say on this forum, that doesn't seem to be a very good idea. I am interested in the law and have always wanted to be a lawyer, but I am really unsure of how things will turn out for me. Will I be able to do well in law school? Will I be able to get a good job to pay off my loans and support my parents? Will I be happy with my job?

I also can't seem to get a job with my current degree and am still stuck earning minimum wage at an office job. Law school or grad school seems to be the only way to get a better job, but because of my major, I don't really have a lot of flexibility in deciding what I want to pursue in grad school, and to be honest, I am not really sure about what I'm interested in.

LMP
  • Articling Student

I can't say if being a lawyer will make you happy. I also can't say if it'll be a wise financial choice, it might not be. You may end up with a job paying much the same as what you make now, but with three years of debt. 

What I can say is that generally speaking lawyers are well compensated for their work. If you are even a decent law student you should be able to secure employment that provides you with a good living, even if it takes a little bit for your earning to increase. 

Law can also be the gateway into significantly higher paying work, but often that is predicated on your ability to outcompete your peers. Which is never something to gamble on. 

The one thing you should figure out is the matter of interest. If you hate being a lawyer, then it would truly be a waste of time. Spend a bit figuring that aspect out and then, if your situation hasn't changed, roll the dice on some applications. 

Though I'd also suggest looking at other graduate school options. There are many shorter and less expensive choices that can give you the same escape (or at least a similar one, in effect) as a JD.

Byzantine
  • Law Student

I struggled with whether law school was a smart financial choice and whether I'd be interested in the eventual career. I'm in my second year now and think I made the right choice, but I was fortunate to do well in my classes and secure employment. There's definitely a degree of risk involved in law school both on the financial and interest side. 

In terms of financing law school if you do end up doing it, I would suggest if possible to avoid working during 1L and take on additional debt. There are lines of credit available to supplement student loans. Your employment prospects are very tied to your first year marks so I think it makes sense to take on additional debt so you can spend additional time on your school work and extracurriculars. I didn't have to support my parents though so take that advice with a grain of salt. I got more money in bursaries from the school than I thought, so that helped. Also if you're concerned about finances look into tuition costs as they vary significantly across schools. 

Feel free to PM if you have any further questions about my experience. I also came from a political science/international studies undergraduate. 

Edited by Byzantine
  • Like 1