Is It True That You Are Not Required To Disclose Institutional Actions Within Your Application?

BoltingTerror85

BoltingTerror85
  • Undergrad

I was reading this article on The Student Doctor Network where it was stated that if you were unable to get into medical school as a result of past IA "you can always consider law school, which does not have IA disclosures beyond criminal convictions".

I don't know much about law school admissions as a Biomedical Science student myself but I have always been under the impression that law school was very stringent in regard to allegations of IA, was I completely misguided?

Edited by BoltingTerror85
Misspelling

• BoltingTerror85 changed the title to Is It True That You Are Not Required To Disclose Institutional Actions Within Your Application?
whereverjustice
  • Lawyer

I don't believe that Canadian law schools typically inquire about this kind of thing as part of the JD admissions process. However, the Law Societies might as part of the bar admission process. For instance, the Law Society of Ontario requires applicants to answer this question (among others):

11. While attending a post-secondary institution, credentialing program or professional course of study, have allegations of misconduct ever been made against you or have you ever been suspended, expelled or penalized by a postsecondary institution or credentialing program provider for misconduct? If yes, you must provide details of the allegation and suspension, expulsion and penalty imposed on you.

• Like 2

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

I could have sworn that disclosure questions regarding past academic misconduct allegations were part of the applications to (at least some) law schools in addition to the Law Society application process, when I did this a few years back. I'm open to correction from someone who has recently applied or cares enough to look it up, though.

Kobe
  • Law Student

This isn't something I was asked when applying in Ontario to my memory(last year), my friends here also do not remember being asked. To whereverjustice's point you'd likely have to answer for whatever you did before getting called to the bar (not that this means you won't be called). The law society would then make a judgement on admitting you or not. 

• Thanks 1