No articling yet / LPP applicants

TheLastLawBender

TheLastLawBender
  • Articling Student

Thanks to the loss of the old forum there's no archive or old posts to sift through to get a better understanding of what students' experiences have been if they've been unable to secure articling or have opted for the LPP at Ryerson.

Wanted to create this to make it easier to share resources, leads, or information. 

On this note, does anyone know if the LPP work placement has similar restrictions like articling? i.e. articling principals can only take on 2 students. Can LPP students still work under articling principals if they have 2 students? Are there any other restrictions to be aware of when looking for the work placement?

Sureaboutnotbeingsure

Sorry to hijack your question, but when would one consider LPP? Do you have a link for deadlines/applying, etc.?

JustinCredible
  • Law Student
12 hours ago, Sureaboutnotbeingsure said:

Sorry to hijack your question, but when would one consider LPP? Do you have a link for deadlines/applying, etc.?

One would most likely consider LPP when they were not able to secure a job during the official articling recruit. You can google Ryerson LPP program to get all that info.

• Thanks 1

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, JustinCredible said:

One would most likely consider LPP when they were not able to secure a job during the official articling recruit. You can google Ryerson LPP program to get all that info.

That’s pretty early. A large number of students find articles during 3L, after the formal articling recruit. I wouldn’t consider the LPP until after your second semester exams, to be honest. The deadline isn’t until mid-July. 

• Thanks 1

TheCryptozoologist
  • Articling Student

@Sureaboutnotbeingsure @JustinCredible

This is true, but its also useful for networking/getting jobs in a particular field of law instead of taking articling roles in things you aren't interested in. I'm doing the LPP but never considered it until someone from LS.com messaged me about it last year. Almost all the positions I saw left were things I had no interest in e.g. insurance defense and the list of employers for the LPP were ones in the fields I am interested in . More than a handful of Canadian JDs who took that route I've spoken to shared similar reasons.

List of prior employer are here. https://lpp.ryerson.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/2020-2021-RU-LPP-Thank-You-Ads.pdf

I think its very different for foreign-trained JDs who are doing it, from what I've read, since there's still discrimination against foreign-trained lawyers.

• Thanks 1