Reference Letter

LawstudentinCanada

LawstudentinCanada

So I am a graduated student and I am going to be using a reference from a professor who is a visiting prof at my university and isn't a permanent position. If he was to write my reference - does that come off as invaluable ? He taught a fourth year seminar class in which I scored really well. 

Please let me know! 

Thank you 

Thrive92
  • Applicant

Invaluable means something that is beyond value, so no. I think the value is one academic reference letter.

I think you should be fine, despite the fact that he is not a tenured professor; as long as he has taught you in university, I think that would mean that he knows you in an academic setting. You should be good.

• Like 1

LawstudentinCanada
2 hours ago, Thrive92 said:

Invaluable means something that is beyond value, so no. I think the value is one academic reference letter.

I think you should be fine, despite the fact that he is not a tenured professor; as long as he has taught you in university, I think that would mean that he knows you in an academic setting. You should be good.

Sorry * I meant that it was not valuable.  

okay wonderful would this put me in a disadvantage compared to other applicants? 

RIP-Joel
  • Law Student

I haven't applied yet but I get the feeling from other people that LOR's don't actually make that much of a difference (its pretty much just LSAT, GPA, and PS but even some will say that the PS isn't as important as the LSAT or GPA). As long as the letter doesn't say something along the lines "@LawstudentinCanada is a piece of shit that contributed literally 0 to the class", you should be fine. 

• LOL 1

LawstudentinCanada
2 minutes ago, luckycharm said:

My TA wrote one of my LOR.

and did you get accepted! Thank you this helps!!

may I ask who was the other reference? Was it a tenured Professor  or someone very well established?

23 minutes ago, MA1199 said:

I haven't applied yet but I get the feeling from other people that LOR's don't actually make that much of a difference (its pretty much just LSAT, GPA, and PS but even some will say that the PS isn't as important as the LSAT or GPA). As long as the letter doesn't say something along the lines "@LawstudentinCanada is a piece of shit that contributed literally 0 to the class", you should be fine. 

I wholeheartedly agree, but I must say my cgpa is low - my l2 is decent and im hoping my lsat will make me a strong splitter in terms of cgpa and lsat, so I am very anxious and trying to make sure my application is done right!! Thank you though for making me smile haha 

2 hours ago, LawstudentinCanada said:

and did you get accepted! Thank you this helps!!

may I ask who was the other reference? Was it a tenured Professor  or someone very well established?

I was accepted 2012.

LOR will not hurt or help your application. I think they should abolish it. 

• Like 1

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student

I don't think LORs are very important, unless you wrote a published paper with the prof whose recommending you, or something really impressive like that. I don't think my recommenders were tenured. 

• Like 2

dimsum1
  • Law School Admit
On 7/16/2021 at 9:21 PM, MA1199 said:

(its pretty much just LSAT, GPA, and PS but even some will say that the PS isn't as important as the LSAT or GPA)

For General applicants or K-JD, sure.  For Mature applicants and other discretionary, the PS (and CV) are the main ways to show work/life experience, etc.  Might be just me but I think my PS/CV is more reflective of my current abilities than my undergrad GPA from 20 years ago.

Edited by dimsum1

LOR was probably a bit helpful back in the dates when Professors has more interactions with their students. 

I hope this practice can be abolished to save both the students and professors of this meaningless hassle.

Professors are not paid to do this extra work and they hardly know most of the students who asked them for a LOR. Many will request a copy of your marked assignment/exams from their course etc. so that they have something to write about you.

How ridiculous is that?  

• Like 1