Queen's vs. U of A

peakingmountain

peakingmountain
  • Applicant

Hi everyone,

I'm having a really hard time choosing between these two schools. I have 0 clue what kind of law I would want to practice and my goal is to go to a better, well-rounded school so that I can keep all my doors open. I grew up in Calgary, so I have family/friends in the Calgary/Edmonton area and no one in Kingston, but I'm open to moving! I was hoping for some insight on class sizes, teaching styles, employment outcomes, the cities themselves, or literally anything that could help me make my decision lol!! 

GoatDuck
  • Law Student

Would you mind sharing some of your goals, considerations, interestes, where you’d like to practice or where you would not like to practice etc?

peakingmountain
  • Applicant

4 hours ago, GoatDuck said:

Would you mind sharing some of your goals, considerations, interestes, where you’d like to practice or where you would not like to practice etc?

Sure!! I think I'd like to go into either corporate or criminal law (wildly different, I know), I'm just hoping to go to a school where I will have the opportunity to explore both of these fields. I'd ideally like to practice in either Calgary or Toronto - making this decision even more difficult because I'm just not too sure at this point! 

Edited by peakingmountain

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
6 minutes ago, peakingmountain said:

I'd ideally like to practice in either Calgary or Toronto - making this decision even more difficult because I'm just not too sure at this point! 

You should try to figure this out, as that is the main difference between the two schools - you'll have an easier time securing the job you want (be it family or corp or whatever) in Toronto if you go to Queen's, and in Calgary if you go to UofA. 

Any law school will give you the opportunity to explore both of those fields. 

Edited by QueensDenning

Turtles
  • Law Student
5 hours ago, peakingmountain said:

Hi everyone,

I'm having a really hard time choosing between these two schools. I have 0 clue what kind of law I would want to practice and my goal is to go to a better, well-rounded school so that I can keep all my doors open. I grew up in Calgary, so I have family/friends in the Calgary/Edmonton area and no one in Kingston, but I'm open to moving! I was hoping for some insight on class sizes, teaching styles, employment outcomes, the cities themselves, or literally anything that could help me make my decision lol!! 

Do you want to party with white frat boys in Kingston or experience at least 3 years of existential dread in Edmonton?

Edited by Turtles
  • LOL 3

peakingmountain
  • Applicant
19 hours ago, QueensDenning said:

You should try to figure this out, as that is the main difference between the two schools - you'll have an easier time securing the job you want (be it family or corp or whatever) in Toronto if you go to Queen's, and in Calgary if you go to UofA. 

Any law school will give you the opportunity to explore both of those fields. 

That's true - I'm trying to figure out whether the transition from Ontario to Alberta would be easier or vice versa if I do change my mind - any thoughts? 

19 hours ago, Turtles said:

Do you want to party with white frat boys in Kingston or experience at least 3 years of existential dread in Edmonton?

LOLLL I love these options!!! partying with white frat boys (barring any roofie-related incidents) sounds like a BIT better of an alternative than depression?? 

Edited by peakingmountain

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
3 hours ago, peakingmountain said:

That's true - I'm trying to figure out whether the transition from Ontario to Alberta would be easier or vice versa if I do change my mind - any thoughts? 

I don't have any real data, but pretty much everyone I know at Queen's who wanted to work in Calgary (this is only a few people that I know) ended up securing jobs through the Calgary recruit. Not sure how it is the other way around. 

• Like 1