Chance me Ontario Schools

Legallyanxious

Legallyanxious
  • Undergrad

Hi all, 

I took an undergrad in biochem in my first year and got put on academic probation. In my second year I switched programs to do a BA in psyc and my GPA dramatically improved to a 3.6/7. I calculated my OLSAS GPA (I am looking to get into Ontario schools) and it said I have a 3.03 CGPA and a 3.75 L2, 3.63 B3. I have an LSAT score around high 150s - low 160s. I am the president of my school's law club, a student ambassador, on the social justice club, psyc club, I volunteer, and am now on the Dean's list. How are my chances?

Chewy
  • Law School Admit

If you can get your LSAT score to around 163+ then I think you have a good chance at Queen's & Western.

Currently, TMU would likely be your best shot in Ontario (maybe Windsor?). The other schools may be out of reach, UofT is definitely a zero chance. 

legallybrown_

You also might possibly have a shot at Oz as well if you can improve your LSAT score (mid/high 160s, 170+ to be on the safe side) and if your PS is strong enough. Best of luck to you!

• Like 1

legallybrown_
21 minutes ago, Legallyanxious said:

@legallybrown_ where is Oz? I also have excellent references but is my GPA too low?

Osgoode Hall Law School, it's part of York University in Ontario. Osgoode's admission process is quite holistic so they take everything into consideration.

LMP
  • Articling Student
19 hours ago, Legallyanxious said:

Hi all, 

I took an undergrad in biochem in my first year and got put on academic probation. In my second year I switched programs to do a BA in psyc and my GPA dramatically improved to a 3.6/7. I calculated my OLSAS GPA (I am looking to get into Ontario schools) and it said I have a 3.03 CGPA and a 3.75 L2, 3.63 B3. I have an LSAT score around high 150s - low 160s. I am the president of my school's law club, a student ambassador, on the social justice club, psyc club, I volunteer, and am now on the Dean's list. How are my chances?

You need a real LSAT score, but beyond that you're actually set up pretty well. 

Yeah, your CPGA is bad. That's fine, lots of schools will drop certian credits or only look at your last two/best two years.

Secure a 160+, apply broadly and I'm confident you'll get a couple of offers. 

Though I'm add that the way OLSAS calcuates GPA can screw people over a bit, so be careful about assuming that what's on your transcript is actually the number law schools see. It often isn't!

Legallyanxious
  • Undergrad

@LMP thank you, this meant a lot to me. I'm feeling really distressed right now with applications because my first year really set me back when I'm in sciences. Which schools should I really prioritize my application?

Legallyanxious
  • Undergrad

@LMP what did you mean when you said that "what's on your transcript is actually the number law schools see. It often isn't!"?

LMP
  • Articling Student
54 minutes ago, Legallyanxious said:

@LMP thank you, this meant a lot to me. I'm feeling really distressed right now with applications because my first year really set me back when I'm in sciences. Which schools should I really prioritize my application?

If you can afford it and would be willing to attend, I'd apply all throughout Ontario. 

But as for where I think you have the best odds? That's somewhat dependent on where your LSAT lands but speaking just to GPA I'd take a look at Queen's (best two), TMU (best 20 credits) and Western (last two). 

I think TMUs way of calculating GPA in paticular would be beneficial in your situation. 

As someone else said above, Osgoode is worth an application too. Even though they ostensibly look at your CGPA, you've still got a shot based on other factors. 

As for your second question, when you apply to law school in Ontario the application service, OLSAS, uses a formula to calculate your GPA. That is the number that is sent to schools. The way they calculate your GPA does not necessarily mirror what your school does. So people sometimes get a suprise when they see the number OLSAS spits out. If you're curious you can use the calculator linked elsewhere in the forum. 

Legallyanxious
  • Undergrad

@LMP I did calculate my gpa (4.33 scale) on the OLSAS calculator which gave me the L2 3.7 and B3 3.6 currently. I still have one more year left, and it will be an easier year. If I am understanding correctly, that number may vary based on how the school calculates it? Should I be as terrified for a rejection as I am currently? I have great extra curricular, strong references. Also, do Ontario schools take applications on rolling admissions? I know Windsor does, and if I understand correctly, that is the basis of first-apply first-serve correct?

LMP
  • Articling Student
10 minutes ago, Legallyanxious said:

@LMP I did calculate my gpa (4.33 scale) on the OLSAS calculator which gave me the L2 3.7 and B3 3.6 currently. I still have one more year left, and it will be an easier year. If I am understanding correctly, that number may vary based on how the school calculates it? Should I be as terrified for a rejection as I am currently? I have great extra curricular, strong references. Also, do Ontario schools take applications on rolling admissions? I know Windsor does, and if I understand correctly, that is the basis of first-apply first-serve correct?

I don't think you should be terrified of a rejection. Just do well on the LSAT and apply broadly, you shouldn't have any issues getting in somewhere. 

As for rolling admissions, I wouldn't really say it is a matter of first come first serve. All Ontario schools share a set of deadlines, if you apply by the deadline you'll be considered. Applying earlier than another applicant means nothing. 

UofT is the only school with official "rounds" of admission. But even then they conform to the deadlines set by OLSAS. 

I suppose the exception would be if you apply on time but don't yet have an LSAT score. In which case your file can't really be evaluated and spots may fill up. But overall I don't think it has much of an impact given the due date for LSAT scores.

• Like 1