Calgary v. Western v. Dal +$

beans

Hi everyone,

What would you do? I am open to practicing in Toronto or Calgary markets. Would like to practice corporate big law. I am currently in Calgary and would have to move to London/Halifax. I do have family connections to Toronto and was born there so that would help prove a connection and that I am not a 'flight risk' if I decided on Calgary/Dal and wanted to practice in Toronto. They all have their pros/cons and everyone says to go where you want to practice however Dal is appealing and I am having a hard time saying no to a large scholarship for the first year that would make it the cheapest option for first year. Is it crazy to say no to a large scholarship? However, logistically Calgary would be the easiest without added pressure of moving and Western would be nice to be close to family. Stressed with the deadline hours away. 

kollykibbler
  • Applicant

COL in Halifax is very high and would, in the long run, probably make Dalhousie your most expensive option even with the scholarship. (You've probably priced this out.) I don't think Bay Street firms really see anyone as much of a flight risk given that they're the goal for lots of people in corporate law, so proving connections doesn't seem all that important to be honest. Western would be best for Toronto BigLaw (OCIs) but neither Calgary nor Dalhousie would by any means exclude you. 

I'm biased towards Calgary because I think it's a fantastic city, it'd save you the hassle and expense of moving, and it seems like a great school for corporate law. Ultimately it comes down to how much more you want to practice in Toronto than Calgary, if at all, and how much of a hassle you're willing to put up with getting to Bay Street.

Best of luck. I'm sure you'll make the right decision for yourself tonight.

Edit: That last sentence made it sound like getting to Bay Street would be difficult. I don't think that's the case.

Edited by kollykibbler
  • Like 1

GoatDuck
  • Law Student

Based on the reported results of the Toronto Summer 2023 2L recruit, Western placed 57 people (31% of their class) and Dal placed 16 people (9% of their class) in Toronto. I'm not sure how many of Dal's students participated in the recruit, but I suspect the percentage was high. If I were you, I'd ultimately go with UCalgary, but if you have a strong preference for the Toronto market, go to Western. 

• Like 1