UVic or UofC

harveyspecterrrr

harveyspecterrrr
  • Applicant

So I am from BC and my goal is to practice here as well. I haven't decided what area of law I want to practice but I am interested in corporate so this is a really tough decision. does going to UVic make it harder for me to go into corporate?

I'd much rather live in Victoria as the Calgary weather is not for me but idk what to do so PLS help

Turtles
  • Law Student

27 from UVIC 2Ls landed in Vancouver 2L recruit this year, vs 5 from UCalgary. 

1 UVIC 2L landed in the Calgary 2L recruit, vs 23 from UCalgary.

And I think 2 UVIC peeps landed the Toronto 2L recruit vs 0 from UCalgary.

[Of course different years may see different results. Caveat emptor.]

Even as a proportion of class size, I think UVIC does far better for the formal recruits (which are disproportionately corporate).

BUT, critically, I think there is a far more important criteria for most people: would you rather chill by the beach wearing shorts in March surrounded by a bunch of kale-eating hippies, or experience existential dread year-round with your only moment of joy being a once-a-year cowboy party surrounded by middle aged men in jean jackets? What's your vibe?

https://ultravires.ca/2022/12/vancouver-summer-2023-2l-recruit-numbers/

https://ultravires.ca/2022/12/calgary-summer-2023-2l-recruit-numbers/

Edited by Turtles
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2

kollykibbler
  • Applicant
6 hours ago, Turtles said:

BUT, critically, I think there is a far more important criteria for most people: would you rather chill by the beach wearing shorts in March surrounded by a bunch of kale-eating hippies, or experience existential dread year-round with your only moment of joy being a once-a-year cowboy party surrounded by middle aged men in jean jackets? What's your vibe?

I understand you’re trying to be funny, but given you nearly identical comment about Edmonton the other day it would appear you’ve never spent any time in Alberta or else have some bizarre vendetta that’s totally irrelevant to the people asking for these comparisons. The people on here who actually go to UofA or UofC seem to really enjoy their experiences. 

I never realized how fixated the rest of Canada is on Alberta. Maybe twice in my life have I heard someone here say something shitty about Ontario, but the Alberta slander on here happens almost daily. Kind of cringe. 

Turtles
  • Law Student
6 minutes ago, kollykibbler said:

I understand you’re trying to be funny, but given you nearly identical comment about Edmonton the other day it would appear you’ve never spent any time in Alberta or else have some bizarre vendetta that’s totally irrelevant to the people asking for these comparisons. The people on here who actually go to UofA or UofC seem to really enjoy their experiences. 

I never realized how fixated the rest of Canada is on Alberta. Maybe twice in my life have I heard someone here say something shitty about Ontario, but the Alberta slander on here happens almost daily. Kind of cringe. 

Sorry bud, friends don't let friends move to Alberta without at least a second thought.

• Like 2

kollykibbler
  • Applicant
26 minutes ago, Turtles said:

Sorry bud, friends don't let friends move to Alberta without at least a second thought.

You sound like the TOLife woman. 

TheDevilIKnow
  • Articling Student

Agree that UVic sounds like the place for you, based on the limited info you've given. You will do fine getting a corporate job from here, and it sounds like you don't like Alberta weather.

Having left Alberta to come to Victoria, I deeply regret it on many levels - including the weather, believe it or not! I miss the snow, and it's important to understand that it's not really "warm" here in the winter, anyway. Mid-October to mid-March is basically 5 months of like +3 to +8; you will not likely be hanging out at the beach in March, much less in shorts. Sounds like you already know this, being from BC, and that you're fine with it. Just want to register these things for future readers.

Also FYI UVic will likely be a hellhole of a construction site for the first 2 years of your program. If you like to easily access a quiet building as part of your learning, that's another point in favour of Calgary. Again not likely a big deal for you, but I say it because I sure as hell would want to know if I was going to be starting 1L in a massive construction site with no apparent noise mitigation strategies, etc. 

Can not explain how happy I am to be finishing up at UVic... although still stuck in Victoria for now for other reasons.

• Like 1