What is typical pay for in-house summer students Toronto?

GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy
  • Law Student

I've recently been interviewing for summer student positions at large corporations in Toronto. If I receive a job offer, I want to be informed if the pay is in line with standard industry pay as I'm saving for school. If you've summered in-house or know what students get paid in-house, what industry was the company and what was the pay structure? 

Turtles
  • Law Student

If you're at Osgoode, an underutilized feature inside MyCareers will let you look at student-reported salaries for summer jobs and at graduation. Two major notes: (i) this is student-provided data -- some may be false, some may be incorrectly entered (e.g., monthly inputted as yearly), and many don't enter anything -- so it's important to not take it at face value and drill down in different ways to try to cut out obvious errors or outliers; (ii) the tool is hard to use in the beginning because you can't just use the default parameters and get something helpful, so make sure you're using it "properly". All that said, if you drill down and take it with a grain of salt, it may yield some solid insights in an aggregate manner beyond the couple datapoints you might get from asking around. It goes without saying, salaries will vary more widely between private employers as compared to between big law firms, for example.

For the benefit of everyone, as an example for "Business & Industry", annualized articling salaries:

image.thumb.png.fe6ae7427f4033c92e26e8cef5800535.png

I/D = insufficient data 

Note: there tends to be better data for post-Osgoode outcomes than summer outcomes because the career office more aggressively asks for it from 3Ls during the LSO process while it's just relegated to a line in the CDO emails during 1L/2L. Keep in mind the data as-is reflects any job during or post-Osgoode, not necessarily law-related; you have to filter in different ways if you're concerned irrelevant data may be skewing your results. Also, be mindful that it's by "graduation year" and NOT year of employment.

Again, for "Business & Industry", expressed in terms of monthly summer student salaries: 

image.thumb.png.f4a4ee0379d6590e23e48e25fe2df067.png

If you just want data for your prospective employer, consider Glassdoor too.

Edited by Turtles
  • Like 1

goosie
  • Lawyer

I was a summer student in a large national retailer's legal department after 2L. If I remember correctly, I was paid $20.50/hr for 35 hrs/wk. I honestly didn't know what a competitive rate would be in the interview so I think they asked me in the interview if $20.50/hr was reasonable and I said sure. In retrospect I could have probably gotten more since it added up to about $720/wk and I later found out that other in house summer students at this retailer's competitors and similarly sized corporations made almost double (like $1k-1.4k). I didn't know that at the time and probably wouldn't have felt like I was in a position to negotiate anyway. (Also, I was definitely working more than 35 hours, probably 45/wk).

For what it's worth, this was summer 2021, so things certainly could be different now, though the averages @Turtles shared above would be pretty much in line with $1k-$1.4k/week.

Edited by goosie
rephrased for clarity