U of A vs. Osgoode

bluthbananas

bluthbananas
  • Law School Admit

Currently holding offers from both schools and really unsure about what to do. I'm interested in criminal law (not really partial either way towards Crown or defense) - and I know for a fact I would never want to do corporate or big law. I know Osgoode is the more prestigious school by far, and I'm really interested in their clinical programs. However, if I went I would have to take on about $40k more of debt than I would if I chose U of A just due to the cost of living in Toronto and the increased tuition. I would also be leaving my entire family, most of my friends, and partner behind. On the other hand, I've lived in Alberta my whole life so I know the environment well, would have to take on way less debt at U of A, could relax more generally about the cost of living (i.e. afford to live alone, have more flexibility in terms of going out, spending, etc.), and the biggest thing is that I ultimately want to article and practice in Alberta regardless of the school I go to. I'm a bit thrown off by the lack of clinical programs at U of A and can't help but feel like I would be passing up on an unbeatable opportunity by choosing not go to to Osgoode. Would going to Osgoode put me at a disadvantage trying to secure articling in the criminal field in Alberta (assuming I still have good grades & extracurriculars)? Is it even worth going all the way out there and spending all that money to achieve the same outcome - i.e. I would end up a criminal lawyer or prosecutor in Alberta at the end of the day either way? Would appreciate any help or advice!

Go to UofA. I'm the biggest Osgoode booster there is and I'd still shake me head if you came here. 

Going to UofA will save you money and better position you to achieve your goals. 

• Like 2

Chewy
  • Law School Admit

I’m going to go against the general consensus here and recommend UofA in your situation.

Renerik
  • Law Student
On 4/3/2023 at 10:52 PM, bluthbananas said:

bit thrown off by the lack of clinical programs at U of A

Student legal services is a clinical heavyweight. Sure, you don't get credit for it, but the work you do is second to none.

Re: crim clinics for credit, we have a low income law internship, wrongful convictions experimental course, prison law experimental course (suck it Queens).

• 2 weeks later...
SNAILS
  • Law Student
On 4/4/2023 at 12:52 AM, bluthbananas said:

I would be passing up on an unbeatable opportunity by choosing not go to to Osgoode. 

I go to Oz, and I don't really get the sense that people think it's "unbeatable." You have an edge in getting into a big Toronto law firm, and that's about it.

Being a criminal lawyer in a big Toronto firm isn't really "a thing."

This summer, I'll be working with another law student who goes to Lakehead. I'm going to try to flex on him that I go Oz, but I doubt it will work. I doubt people will see Oz>Lakehead automatically. The same holds true for Oz and U of A (nobody cares outside of Toronto, ultimately).