Previous RTW and Potential for Law School - Questions

BMSM30

BMSM30
  • Undergrad

I had some questions about gaining admission to Canadian law schools with a history of mixed results throughout my undergrad. 

A bit of backstory: In 2011-2012 I was pushed into university by my parents and I was far too immature to appreciate the opportunity. Long story short, I did not study or show up to classes and I ended up failing and was RTW. I took a few years off to travel and work full time before re-enrolling in university in 2018 with a newfound respect for education. I have put in hard work and dedication and have obtained a 3.6/4.0 GPA from 2018 until now. In the last two years of my BA (Political Science) I have a 3.76/4.0 GPA at the University of Alberta. Both of those numbers will improve a bit by the end of my program in a couple of weeks. 

In the last few years I have become interested in law, but I still never thought I had the grades to get in. Regardless, I am planning on writing the LSAT in late Summer or Fall of this year, with hopes of gaining admission for Fall of 2024. 

I should mention that I have a couple W's on my transcript and that I do not have any significant ECs. I have worked the entirety of my degree, and before that I led a multi-million dollar high-end retail location, if that matters. In initial LSAT practice tests I have consistently obtained 160-163 scores with very little studying. 

My questions are: Will that RTW be detrimental to my chances of getting into law school? Has anybody had any experience with this sort of situation before? 

Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this and have a lovely day. 

Yogurt Baron
1 hour ago, BMSM30 said:

Has anybody had any experience with this sort of situation before? 

Have I!

My journey from being the least competitive law applicant in the country to getting in to deciding not to go to...you know, now...is all more than a decade in the rear-view mirror, and I can't really tell you anything about law school admissions in 2023. Back in my day, most schools would drop some of your worst grades, and/or consider "mature students" via different categories. Speaking broadly, it's been my experience that if you've (eventually) put together an academic track record that shows you can succeed, now, somebody will let you in even if you previously had a false start or two. Law schools don't tend to be punitive - they just want to see that you can do the work.

WiseGhost's response is a good reminder that not every school uses the same jargon, and I think it provides an apropos lesson in how big our problems seem to us and how small they seem to other people. You're over here losing your shit about an RTW, while 99% of people you meet aren't even going to know what the hell that acronym is. Similarly, admissions officers have seen it all---including people who were fuck-ups when they were 18 and are not fuck-ups when they're 30. It isn't going to phase anyone. You do not actually have a scarlet letter branded on your forehead.

• Like 3

Megjackson
  • Law Student
On 4/5/2023 at 3:16 PM, WiseGhost said:

What does RTW stand for?

I think it stands for required to withdraw? 

• Thanks 1

Lui
  • Law Student

Long story short, RTW will not have a detrimental impact on your chances so long as you have a good GPA and LSAT score. My story is very similar to yours, and I had no problem getting into law school.

Good luck!

Turtles
  • Law Student

One thing I will add: law schools like success stories. They like to hear you overcame adversity. It's a strength, not necessarily a fault in your past, if it made you grow. They like to hear you're coming in with an added layer of maturity and motivation and that you've demonstrated resilience in the face of failure. You failed, but grew and proved yourself thereafter. If you own it in your essays -- saying hey, I failed, I recognize it was my fault, I went through X process to reflect, I got back on the bike when I was ready, I made Y changes to my approach and put in the work, and I have these Z successes at work / at home / school to show for it, and I know this passion will drive me to succeed in law school -- then you can do really well. You may end up with a lot more acceptances than you expected.

Just do you research. Look for schools that are holistic or heavily weigh your L2 or B2 or give enough drops to take out your bad grades. Apply broadly (don't naively just apply to 1 school -- unless you have immovable geographic limitations (e.g., kids in school), over the course of the application cycle new information or rejections may change your willingness to move if it means you can attend Queens or Osgoode or Robson Hall or whatnot).

• Like 3

GoatDuck
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, Turtles said:

law schools like success stories.

Especially in provinces as prosperous and wonderful as Alberta!

BishopGW
  • Law Student
On 4/5/2023 at 6:08 PM, BMSM30 said:

A bit of backstory: In 2011-2012 I was pushed into university by my parents and I was far too immature to appreciate the opportunity. Long story short, I did not study or show up to classes and I ended up failing and was RTW. I took a few years off to travel and work full time before re-enrolling in university in 2018 with a newfound respect for education. I have put in hard work and dedication and have obtained a 3.6/4.0 GPA from 2018 until now. In the last two years of my BA (Political Science) I have a 3.76/4.0 GPA at the University of Alberta. Both of those numbers will improve a bit by the end of my program in a couple of weeks. 

In the last few years I have become interested in law, but I still never thought I had the grades to get in. Regardless, I am planning on writing the LSAT in late Summer or Fall of this year, with hopes of gaining admission for Fall of 2024. 

I should mention that I have a couple W's on my transcript and that I do not have any significant ECs. I have worked the entirety of my degree, and before that I led a multi-million dollar high-end retail location, if that matters. In initial LSAT practice tests I have consistently obtained 160-163 scores with very little studying. 

Has anybody had any experience with this sort of situation before? 

This is eerily similar to my biography, I guess I'm not as unique as I thought I was. I think you'll have a decent shot at getting a W somewhere.

I'd second the good advice Turtles gave you, use the setbacks you've overcome as proof of your resilience and you can write a compelling personal statement.

Feel free to DM me if you have questions.