Off-Campus Housing

GuiltyMind88

GuiltyMind88
  • Applicant

Hey everybody, 

I'm from just outside of Vancouver and so i don't really know much about the calgary neighbourhoods. Wondering if anybody has any reccomendations for neighbourhoods/buildings to rent in, or neighbourhoods to avoid. Preferably either walking distance or an easy transit to the campus.

Also, if anybody has experience renting in the area or knows a fair bit about it i'd be interested in hearing what a reasonable budget for renting is / what i can expect to spend on rent. 

I'm thinking this could end up being a useful thread for a lot of people who plan on moving from out of town. 

Cheers!

TheRizz22
  • Applicant

Hey OP,

There is some variance depending on what you are looking for (condo/basement suite, etc), area of town and taste. On the lower end you could find a basement suite or not as nice of an apartment with no amenities for as little as $1,100 - $1,200 maybe. For nicer apartments/condos in trendy areas or downtown with amenities, parking, storage they could be going for anywhere in the $1,600 - $1,800 range.

The newly developed University District has some brand new condos for rent that are worth checking out and that area has everything from a grocery store to movie theaters and bars. It is close to campus with everything you need close by, it isn't cheap though. Communities like Sunnyside, Kensington, Bridgeland, Hillhurst, are all within a 10-15 minute drive or close to the C-train for a quick commute to campus. The first 3 mentioned would all be considered popular/trendy neighborhoods with plenty of shopping and good restaurant options. Downtown is also worth considering, it is a short train ride or drive to campus from the core and gives you plenty of apartment options while locating you close to law firms you may want to work at in the summer.

For walking distance you need to look at University District, Varsity, Charleswood, Brentwood although they seem to be more houses and less apartments which is an option if you don't mind roomates.

Hopefully that helps a bit!