Its hard to determine chances: accepted into OZ with a 153 lsat

Nia2701

rue
  • Law Student

I got into Ryerson this cycle through general (my first cycle) with a 3.09 cgpa, 3.7 B2 and 3.9 B20 AND a 151 LSAT. I’m still waiting on Osgoode (my friend got into Oz with a 151), Windsor and Queens. I looked through these threads while first applying and honestly felt like shit thinking I didn’t stand a chance. I almost wasted more money to retake the LSAT and almost entirely gave up on law school because of my gpa. I had even accepted my masters program offer. These chances threads feel irrelevant to me now because the process for *most* schools is VERY holistic. I completely agree with what you’re saying, it seems to me like getting in depends on so much more than just stats. As long as the work is put in many people with a variety of stats stand a good chance of getting in. I hope that other people who haven’t received acceptances this year and others who might be feeling defeated see this post and continue to stay hopeful.

Edited by rue
  • Like 6
  • Hugs 1

Lawapplicant101
  • Applicant
On 4/11/2023 at 5:03 PM, Nia2701 said:

I literally made an account to talk about this. Yesterday I got into Osgoode with a 153 LSAT and a 3.84 OLSAS cgpa and B3. According to these chances threads on both the forum and reddit, there really wasn't any chance I'd get into a school in Ontario (let alone Osgoode). I was prepared to take a year off and focus on my LSAT. To my surprise I was admitted and I'm still in shock. All I wanted to say is that there's probably many people out there frantically looking through these threads trying to find someone with similar stats and hoping it'll provide some clarity. I did the same for several months but stopped after completely bombing my last (I got a 151 in jan). There really is no telling how you'll do and where you'll get in. The only thing you can do is 1. focus on your undergrad and do whatever you can to get the best grades (taking easier courses where you can, looking up profs on ratemyprof, choosing majors you like, sacrificing fun for school work) 2. focus on your lsat and spend as much time as you can studying, its a dreadful process and tbh I haven't even figured it out, I'd just say give yourself time to master it even if you need a year or more (so start early). 3. personal statements are very important (i guess that's what got me in). Dig deep and show parts of your identity and bring them out through storytelling. Your "thesis" should be why you want to become a lawyer in every personal statement even if they don't specifically ask. 

I did these things (aside from mastering the lsat) and it seems to have paid off. Unfortunately, I don't know exactly why I got in, but if you're reading this it's honestly hard to tell. Just focus on what you need to for your application and leave the rest to the law school gods. I hope this reduces some anxiety to an extent. If not, there's always next year and you'll know exactly what you need to do to get in!

Hey I just wanted to thank you for sharing your experience. I actually have a similar LSAT score as you, my Cavg is 79% and my B2 87% (UBC). I also got plenty of work and volunteering experience and my essays were very personal to why I want to become a lawyer. I have no faith I will get into this cycle and know I have to retake the LSAT but just reading your post was very comforting. I actually refuse to let myself gain any hope but I’m so glad to hear there are some applicants who are evaluated beyond the scores they got on a test! 

Edited by Lawapplicant101