Vancouver Articling Recruit - Job Prospects

calico

calico
  • Law Student

Hi all,

I am a current 2L hoping to partake in the Vancouver articling recruit. I am unsure of my job prospects, especially if offers are based primarily on grades. I am hoping to gain some insight to see if I even have a chance, as well as for some general tips for the recruit.

I had a B average in 1L due to health issues and deaths in my family. It went up a bit to a high B average with the first semester of 2L, and will hopefully go up this semester.

If EC’s and other factors matter: I have been involved in many extracurricular activities in school. I also TA’d and won a couple of awards in 2L. Finally, I have 2 strong reference letters from some profs (who are also judges) and have decent work experience (maintained a full time job at a Big Corporation during undergrad).

For further context, I landed a summer job at a well respected, full-service firm in the lower mainland before the 2L recruit, but would ultimately love to practice in Vancouver. I am primarily interested in Family Law and so my top choices are of course firms that practice in that area (i.e., Harper Grey, Watson Goepel). 

Thanks!