Applying to articling recruit while working a summer job

Guest Anonymous

I have a summer job lined up (not big law) but I am thinking of applying for the articling recruit. I'm happy with the firm I am with, but my concern is not liking it there or them not taking me back for articling - I don't want to be left at a job I dislike/a job that may not take me back. In this sense, isn't it 'safer' for everyone (not in biglaw as I hear they're mostly secure) to just apply for the articling recruit in that case?

Given that the recruit occurs in a specific week in the summer, meaning I would need to take those days off, I assume my employer will know. Won't that make them not want to take me back for articling if I don't seem that committed to the firm? 

Finally, the only factor that's making me apply for the articling recruit is money - I would only be applying to big law firms. My current firm pays close to what big law does (think: ~10-20k less for anonymity sake). Is it worth it risking my job security in order to participate in the recruit for this amount of money? Money is only important because I am in significant amount of debt. 

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer

Are there significant numbers of big law firms hiring in articling recruit? I'm not in Toronto but it's quite rare in Calgary, they usually fill their articling class with their summer students (as you alluded to). There would need to be a business need that they didn't anticipate through summer hiring.

If the goal is to move into big law, I would focus on doing well during the summer, getting hired back for articling, and networking for a lateral as a junior.

Bruiser
  • Law Student

Most firms that hireback for articling will extend their offers ahead of the articling recruit application deadline for their region. Just ask your employer their intentions - a very small minority of firms make their students re-apply for articling.