Un-Transferring

Student7

Student7
  • Applicant

Hi all, 

I was very fortunate to be given the opportunity to transfer to some amazing law schools following the completion of my first year of law school and decided to transfer to a school I had always thought of as my dream school. I have enjoyed the classes so much but unfortunately found the whole process extremely isolating and my overall health has taken a massive hit because of it and the school I am currently at I find terrible in terms of accessibility and adequacy of support. While I again enjoy the courses and would be okay pushing through my last year at the school I am currently at I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of people un-transferring law schools (going back to the ). Since you have to complete two years at the school you graduate and I would have already completed one year at the University I first attended there is not much technical difference between transferring away for a year and returning after that and going away for a year on a letter of permission basis but I have never heard of anyone actually doing this so I was wondering if anyone had insight into if it is possible. 

Thanks for any feedback!

Turtles
  • Law Student

The only people who can actually help you work in student services at the school you left. You need to call or visit them. Nothing anyone else says has any weight on your situation.

LMP
  • Articling Student
19 hours ago, Student7 said:

Hi all, 

I was very fortunate to be given the opportunity to transfer to some amazing law schools following the completion of my first year of law school and decided to transfer to a school I had always thought of as my dream school. I have enjoyed the classes so much but unfortunately found the whole process extremely isolating and my overall health has taken a massive hit because of it and the school I am currently at I find terrible in terms of accessibility and adequacy of support. While I again enjoy the courses and would be okay pushing through my last year at the school I am currently at I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of people un-transferring law schools (going back to the ). Since you have to complete two years at the school you graduate and I would have already completed one year at the University I first attended there is not much technical difference between transferring away for a year and returning after that and going away for a year on a letter of permission basis but I have never heard of anyone actually doing this so I was wondering if anyone had insight into if it is possible. 

Thanks for any feedback!

I'm wondering if your best bet it to get a letter of permission to study at your old school. 

Transfers are way more formal and I doubt they have any existing mechanisms for 3L transfers. 

But 3L letters of permission are farily common and you shouldn't have any issue getting one. This will allow allow you to graduate with a degree from your current school. 

Student7
  • Applicant
On 4/17/2023 at 12:19 PM, Turtles said:

The only people who can actually help you work in student services at the school you left. You need to call or visit them. Nothing anyone else says has any weight on your situation.

Yeah, I contacted them and they said it would be possible I had always planned to but I thought I would ask here first cause I was worried they would laugh in my face and figured I'd check to see if everybody knew it was an impossible ask before going and calling them. Thanks for the advice!

On 4/17/2023 at 12:24 PM, LMP said:

I'm wondering if your best bet it to get a letter of permission to study at your old school. 

Transfers are way more formal and I doubt they have any existing mechanisms for 3L transfers. 

But 3L letters of permission are farily common and you shouldn't have any issue getting one. This will allow allow you to graduate with a degree from your current school. 

That is something I will definitely look into if things don't work out otherwise, also I know transfers at my school can do one semester on exchange so I don't see why a LOP would be a problem. Thanks for the input/advice!