Practicing in Canada as a foreigner?

SYANG09

SYANG09
  • Applicant

Hi

I'm applying in the next cycle for both Canadian and American schools as I wish to practice in North America (excluding Quebec lol). I have no preference of one country over another but in general I aim for getting a decent job and ideally PR/citizenship. Basically these are what I know: U.S. has pros like a much larger legal market, more prestigious schools and higher paid jobs, and cons like the big surplus of law grads, difficulty in getting H1B (work) visa and long process time for green cards. Canada, on the other hand, has fewer job opportunities for law grads but comparatively easier pathway to work permit and PR. While there's a lot info about int'l law students practicing in U.S., much less is known about them in Canada. So for anyone here happening to be a foreigner working in Canada's legal market or if you personally know someone who's non-citizen, what is the general experience of finding a job and how easy is the immigration process?

Thanks 🙂

Edited by SYANG09

1 hour ago, SYANG09 said:

Hi

I'm applying in the next cycle for both Canadian and American schools as I wish to practice in North America (excluding Quebec lol). I have no preference of one country over another but in general I aim for getting a decent job and ideally PR/citizenship. Basically these are what I know: U.S. has pros like a much larger legal market, more prestigious schools and higher paid jobs, and cons like the big surplus of law grads, difficulty in getting H1B (work) visa and long process time for green cards. Canada, on the other hand, has fewer job opportunities for law grads but comparatively easier pathway to work permit and PR. While there's a lot info about int'l law students practicing in U.S., much less is known about them in Canada. So for anyone here happening to be a foreigner working in Canada's legal market or if you personally know someone who's non-citizen, what is the general experience of finding a job and how easy is the immigration process?

Thanks 🙂

Where are you from? 

Do you know who is 777 ?

Edited by luckycharm
  • LOL 1

SYANG09
  • Applicant
7 hours ago, luckycharm said:

Where are you from? 

Do you know who is 777 ?

Taiwan fyi.

Never heard of that guy (or girl).

LMP
  • Articling Student
9 hours ago, luckycharm said:

Where are you from? 

Do you know who is 777 ?

That's some cryptic stuff. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

LMP
  • Articling Student
11 hours ago, SYANG09 said:

Hi

Thanks 🙂

You are making some assumptions and large generalizations in your post. 

America has any law schools and hundreds of them are terrible choices. The American market is drowning in lawyers from their substandard and predatory schools. The stand outs are of course students from top schools and regional targets. Look, if you can get a T-14 school in the US, with some kind of scholarship, take it and run. That degree will let you practice anywhere in Canada or US.

But if you have to choose between a top 30 American school or a Canadian school, it becomes more of an issue. The question will then be, where do you want to live and work? What can you best afford? 

Before we can tackle these questions we should also look at your stats. What do grades look like after being converted (what they are on your transcript is not what other schools will see). How's your LSAT? 

• Thanks 1

SYANG09
  • Applicant
18 minutes ago, LMP said:

You are making some assumptions and large generalizations in your post. 

America has any law schools and hundreds of them are terrible choices. The American market is drowning in lawyers from their substandard and predatory schools. The stand outs are of course students from top schools and regional targets. Look, if you can get a T-14 school in the US, with some kind of scholarship, take it and run. That degree will let you practice anywhere in Canada or US.

But if you have to choose between a top 30 American school or a Canadian school, it becomes more of an issue. The question will then be, where do you want to live and work? What can you best afford? 

Before we can tackle these questions we should also look at your stats. What do grades look like after being converted (what they are on your transcript is not what other schools will see). How's your LSAT? 

My undergrad gpa is 3.88/4.0 (b2 3.92, l2 3.9). They are certified by WES. I wrote my first LSAT in June and scored 81% (low-160s).  I do plan to rewrite and aim for high 160s. My softs are just okay, not outstanding but by no means poor. I happen to know someone with similar stats from my uni but got rejected from very T14 in the last cycle bruh. So T14 seem a great challenge to me, but I guess I still have good chance at some T30. I'd go to U.S. if I've got offer (w/ or w/o scholarship) from T14 but I'll consider Canadian schools seriously if T30 are my only options.

I do have financial support from my family to pursue a JD in both countries. Tuitions of Canadian schools are generally cheaper than of comparable U.S. ones, but the difference of costs isn't a big factor. I don't have a penchant for biglaws, but feel like working in or around big metro areas. 

LMP
  • Articling Student
43 minutes ago, SYANG09 said:

My undergrad gpa is 3.88/4.0 (b2 3.92, l2 3.9). They are certified by WES. I wrote my first LSAT in June and scored 81% (low-160s).  I do plan to rewrite and aim for high 160s. My softs are just okay, not outstanding but by no means poor. I happen to know someone with similar stats from my uni but got rejected from very T14 in the last cycle bruh. So T14 seem a great challenge to me, but I guess I still have good chance at some T30. I'd go to U.S. if I've got offer (w/ or w/o scholarship) from T14 but I'll consider Canadian schools seriously if T30 are my only options.

So as you've identified the main issue here is your LSAT. You'll need something much higher for T-14. But it also depends how the cycle goes. This year's cycle was wild, people were getting wait list or rejected with 170s and above. If next year returns to normal a high 160 or better yet a 170 would put you in a  good spot for some great American schools. 

And even without the 170 I think a lot of regional targets are open to you. Though again, a mark in the higher 160s would be good. Some of the UC schools, BU, BC, Notre Dame and so on.

In Canada your current stats will probably have you in at Western and  Queens. UofT would require a higher LSAT. Osgoode can be hard to predict so I won't guess. You can check your index score for UBC and Uvic. 

• Like 1

SYANG09
  • Applicant
28 minutes ago, LMP said:

So as you've identified the main issue here is your LSAT. You'll need something much higher for T-14. But it also depends how the cycle goes. This year's cycle was wild, people were getting wait list or rejected with 170s and above. If next year returns to normal a high 160 or better yet a 170 would put you in a  good spot for some great American schools. 

And even without the 170 I think a lot of regional targets are open to you. Though again, a mark in the higher 160s would be good. Some of the UC schools, BU, BC, Notre Dame and so on.

In Canada your current stats will probably have you in at Western and  Queens. UofT would require a higher LSAT. Osgoode can be hard to predict so I won't guess. You can check your index score for UBC and Uvic. 

Thanks for the insights. They're very valuable to me. 😃

Edited by SYANG09

7 hours ago, SYANG09 said:

I do have financial support from my family to pursue a JD in both countries. Tuitions of Canadian schools are generally cheaper than of comparable U.S. ones, but the difference of costs isn't a big factor. I don't have a penchant for biglaws, but feel like working in or around big metro areas. 

81% is 161/162 which Canadian schools do you have in mind?

SYANG09
  • Applicant
6 minutes ago, luckycharm said:

81% is 161/162 which Canadian schools do you have in mind?

Now my targets are Alberta, Western, Queens and perhaps Ottawa or UVic. If I can score around 170 this fall, I'll apply for Osgoode and UBC as well. 

Edited by SYANG09

1 hour ago, SYANG09 said:

Now my targets are Alberta, Western, Queens and perhaps Ottawa or UVic. If I can score around 170 this fall, I'll apply for Osgoode and UBC as well. 

Apply to wherever you want to or can go.

you don't need 170 for OZ

• Thanks 1