Current 1L - ASK ME ANYTHING!

Skittles

apricus
  • Law Student
On 6/6/2023 at 11:01 PM, Olive said:

Yes, this is exactly why I was asking as I know that the recruit includes mostly big law and government agencies often do not report their stats for the UV publications. I’m trying to gauge how much of an advantage it would be to choose Ottawa over UBC for work in Toronto 

I was in the same situation as you. I chose Ottawa because the BC schools typically don't place well (at all) in the 2L Toronto recruit, and I have always wanted to work in Toronto. I think less than 5 people who received offers from Bay St firms were from UBC, and I don't think there were any from UVic or TRU. Obviously this is self selection too, because most UBC students only apply to the Vancouver recruit, with UBC students taking up 65 to 70% of the jobs in the Vancouver OCIs. 

I think the benefit of being in an Ontario school is that you'll have upper years who has been through the Toronto recruit. Upper years are your most valuable source of information! Not having that insight, because there are so few people who do the Toronto recruit from BC, might be detrimental.

That being said, obviously it is not impossible. Also keep in mind that Ottawa does not place very well in Toronto recruits either, stats wise. Similarly to UBC, Ottawa has its own legal market, which 65 to 70% of jobs go to Ottawa grads. So whatever the reason, I have heard that only about 15 to 20% of Ottawa 2Ls get a job through the organized recruit process in Toronto (Big Law + Government). If you are not successful during the 2L recruit, you may be worse off than you would have been had you attended UBC. 

• 3 weeks later...
flertalgerdal1
  • Applicant

For any former 1L's, would you say that there is an advantage/disadvantage to ebook/physical books for 1L? I was thinking of securing my books soon, and just wanted to get some insight. Thanks!

HopefulTransferGuy
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, flertalgerdal1 said:

For any former 1L's, would you say that there is an advantage/disadvantage to ebook/physical books for 1L? I was thinking of securing my books soon, and just wanted to get some insight. Thanks!

I'm a current 2L. I much prefer the E-books as having 5 thick hardcopy books is annoying. Almost all exams will be conducted open book. Many of these professors use ExamSoft which is used via your computer in class. If you have an e-book, you are arguably at a huge advantage as you can use the "Control F" function while as people with hard copies cannot. However, If you are the type of person who sees large advantages to "tabbing" your book for ease of use, you may enjoy a hardcopy book more.  I would very much still recommend E-books.

flertalgerdal1
  • Applicant
8 minutes ago, HopefulTransferGuy said:

I'm a current 2L. I much prefer the E-books as having 5 thick hardcopy books is annoying. Almost all exams will be conducted open book. Many of these professors use ExamSoft which is used via your computer in class. If you have an e-book, you are arguably at a huge advantage as you can use the "Control F" function while as people with hard copies cannot. However, If you are the type of person who sees large advantages to "tabbing" your book for ease of use, you may enjoy a hardcopy book more.  I would very much still recommend E-books.

Ah! Fantastic, thank you. That a my concern with the ebooks, the ability to use them in exams and their accessibility while taking an open book exam. I think I’ll also go the ebook route now, thank you!

scooter
  • Law Student
53 minutes ago, HopefulTransferGuy said:

If you have an e-book, you are arguably at a huge advantage as you can use the "Control F" function while as people with hard copies cannot.

I would say that being able to control-F a textbook during an exam isn't an advantage at all. If you're prepared, you probably aren't even opening your textbook more than once or twice during the entire exam. 

Buy the e-books if you like reading on your computer/tablet and don't want to carry books around, but there isn't really any advantage beyond that.

Also, if you have Mayeda for any classes, buy the physical book because his exams are multiple choice and you can't use any electronics.

• 2 weeks later...
Nyoom
  • Law Student

I think I've seen this more from US law students on reddit but are there any profs at uOttawa that don't allow technology in class? I'm incredibly reliant on using my iPad for notes and would love to stick to it. 

LegallyStressed
  • Applicant

Not an academic question but just one out of curiosity, does uOttawa have their version of the law ball/ prom ? I know of some law schools in Ontario that do. 

Edited by LegallyStressed

Debtful
  • Applicant
12 minutes ago, LegallyStressed said:

Not an academic question but just one out of curiosity, does uOttawa have their version of the law ball/ prom ? I know of some law schools in Ontario that do. 

Ottawa has a Law ball hosted each year. (it was a the war museum this year) and a graduation ball every year at the chateau laurier. 

Edited by Debtful

LegallyStressed
  • Applicant
On 7/18/2023 at 4:03 PM, Debtful said:

Ottawa has a Law ball hosted each year. (it was a the war museum this year) and a graduation ball every year at the chateau laurier. 

Thank you!