IS there a shot of getting into the UofS with a 2.2 GPA and a 168 LSAT

NotALawSchooler

NotALawSchooler
  • Applicant

Hi all, 

I graduated a few years ago with a BCOMM from the UofS. While I enjoyed my time there, I wasn't the most studious person which I regret now that I am interested in applying to UofS law. I am wondering what my odds are of being accepted to Usask law with a poor GPA, but a fairly good LSAT of 168. I know this is one of the easier college's to get into in Canada, so i am hanging on that their is a chance through my LSAT. 

Other relevant admission information for Usask: 

Maturing Student - Will be 26 when applying

GPA -  Began undergrad with poor marks but really worked to improve them in my last year of school.

"Connections" - They say they give slight preference to those who have  reside, or have SK Connections. I am not too sure what this means, and objectively does not seem very fair. However if true, I have multiple family members who went to usask law, and currently reside in SK. I've also lived in Saskatoon my whole life. 

Thanks

Edited by ChanceatLaw

• NotALawSchooler changed the title to IS there a shot of getting into the UofS with a 2.2 GPA and a 168 LSAT
chameli B
  • Law Student

It is highly unlikely that you will get into USASK, or any Canadian law school, with your GPA. USASK wants an 85 average over your best 2 years. I think the best bet is to go back to school and take 20 courses, get at least an A- average, and then apply to law schools that use your last 60 credits. Some schools only look at completed degrees for averages, but some take any courses. You are still young and have time! You have an amazing LSAT score! If you get your GPA up you have a very good chance of getting into multiple schools.

PS. You could look at access categories at schools, but barring any extraordinary reason for the low gpa, your chances of admission will be very low. But I never say never. 

Edited by chameli B

NotALawSchooler
  • Applicant

Thank you for the honesty, it is appreciated. I think I am going to still go forward and give it a shot considering other areas of my application are strong. As you said, never say never!

Edited by ChanceatLaw
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 1

NotALawSchooler
  • Applicant

Just to bump, my GPA is actually 2.7 - still low, but much better than 2.2!!

• 2 weeks later...

I was rejected without waitlist with slightly higher stats than you in both things though I had no sask connection.

• 8 months later...