Not attending TRU due to the housing crisis in BC?

chameli B

chameli B
  • Law Student

Hey all! I have been accepted to TRU and have been really excited about attending and I have even paid my deposit. I would like to stay in BC but the housing situation in Kamloops is freaking me out. I have been looking for the last few months for studios and the rent is like 1400-1900 if you can even get a response from a landlord. I got an offer from uOttawa and now I am extremely close to withdrawing my acceptance and losing out on my deposits. Rents in Ottawa are a bit cheaper and there are more options. Tuition is also a bit cheaper too. Anyway, another perspective would be greatly appreciated. I would like to practice in BC but maybe it is better to go to Ontario where the housing crisis is not as bad (minus Toronto). I feel like if I stay in BC and practice here, I will have more debt and less money to pay off my debt due to higher housing costs.

Edited by chameli B

Legally_Chase
  • Law School Admit

Congrats on your acceptances! The universal advice I have read is that you should go to law school where you intend to practice. Maybe you need to identify what would suck more, the financial impact of staying for law school in BC or not being able to practice in BC following your graduation. Depending on what area of law you want to practice, Ottawa does not place that well in the BC Big Law recruit. From a financial perspective, if you have many connections back in BC then you should factor in times when you may want to visit as I reckon air travel is pricey. 

chameli B
  • Law Student

@Legally_ChaseThanks for the response! I honestly do not know what type of law I want to do. I now think that moving away from BC for school and future work might be my best choice.

atg95
  • Lawyer

If you are happy with attending uOttawa, I see no problem with that. It's true that the ideal case is your go to law school where you want to practice. However, since you are from BC you already have a connection to the province that will help for interviews. It won't be quite as ideal as being here for the various networking events, but you still can get a position here. Ultimately, it depends on your grades and other attributes and being willing to travel for interviews etc.  It also opens up options for practicing in Ontario. You may prefer BC now but may change your mind over time. 

• Thanks 1

Chewy
  • Law School Admit
16 hours ago, chameli B said:

@Legally_ChaseThanks for the response! I honestly do not know what type of law I want to do. I now think that moving away from BC for school and future work might be my best choice.

That’s what I did. Moved from BC to Ottawa. Best decision I’ve ever made.

• Thanks 1

chameli B
  • Law Student

That’s what I did. Moved from BC to Ottawa. Best decision I’ve ever made.

Decision made. Ottawa!

Good choice. I don't understand why this is even a choice. Kamloops is a horrible place. It has basically all the downsides of the prairie cities without the upside of being inexpensive. It isn't beautiful, it doesn't have moderate weather, and it is culturally rural. On top of that Ottawa law school is a more established, stronger program. 

I'm from BC and live in Gatineau. I will probably go back to Vancouver eventually, but right now, I own a nice 4-bedroom home, a half hour from downtown Ottawa, for the cost of a crappy studio in Vancouver. I could survive in Vancouver, but here I am thriving. 

• Like 5

Chewy
  • Law School Admit
19 hours ago, Mal said:

Good choice. I don't understand why this is even a choice. Kamloops is a horrible place. It has basically all the downsides of the prairie cities without the upside of being inexpensive. It isn't beautiful, it doesn't have moderate weather, and it is culturally rural. On top of that Ottawa law school is a more established, stronger program. 

I'm from BC and live in Gatineau. I will probably go back to Vancouver eventually, but right now, I own a nice 4-bedroom home, a half hour from downtown Ottawa, for the cost of a crappy studio in Vancouver. I could survive in Vancouver, but here I am thriving. 

I know too many people who are trying to make it work in Vancouver but keep falling behind. They dream of being able to afford a place of their own in Vancouver, but as time goes by and as costs increase, they dream of buying a place of their own in Burnaby, then Surrey, then Langley, then Abbotsford, then Chilliwack, then Nanaimo, etc. I couldn't imagine having to settle on Chilliwack when there are so many other great cities in Canada that cost significantly less. 

And I agree about Kamloops. Absolutely the worst city in the province with Port Alberni a close second. Zero redeeming qualities about Kamloops.