Grades to Become a Medalist

ReasonableDoubt

ReasonableDoubt
  • Law Student

Just wondering, roughly speaking, the kinds of grades that medalists usually had. All HHs with the odd H? Half HH/H? Unfortunately, our Faculty does very poorly when it comes to transparency in this area. 

OnlyResident
  • Articling Student

You basically need all HHs with the odd H or P. 

• Like 1

ruthlessfox
  • Law Student

Only way to find out is to contact a prior medalist and ask what their grades were, if they will tell you. You are definitely looking at the large majority of grades being HHs, with the rest Hs and maybe 1 P across three years.

What is the rough equivalent of a P? I thought most people got Ps, but these posts suggest they're more like Fs.

11 minutes ago, Atticus said:

What is the rough equivalent of a P? I thought most people got Ps, but these posts suggest they're more like Fs.

Most people may well get Ps. 

Most people are not medallists. 

• Like 3

ruthlessfox
  • Law Student
12 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I think compared to other schools a P is a B or B- (bottom 55% of the class); an H is a B+ (from 45th to 85th percentile) and HH is A- or above (top 15% of the class). You can also get an LP on a discretionary basis, which is comparable to a C or D.

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
3 hours ago, ruthlessfox said:

I think compared to other schools a P is a B or B- (bottom 55% of the class); an H is a B+ (from 45th to 85th percentile) and HH is A- or above (top 15% of the class). You can also get an LP on a discretionary basis, which is comparable to a C or D.

Essentially all other schools have mandatory C-range grades, which makes a P a C/B-range grade, an H a B+, and an HH an A-range grade, roughly speaking. The entire reason U of T law switched to this silly system was to protect the delicate constitution of its students, who can't cope with getting Cs 🙂

I have no direct experience with U of T, but I expect most medalists would be straight HH students with a few Hs. You needed to be slightly better than a straight-A student to medal at Osgoode in my year (although a B+ could be made up for with a few extra A+s).

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 1

ruthlessfox
  • Law Student
18 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Essentially all other schools have mandatory C-range grades, which makes a P a C/B-range grade, an H a B+, and an HH an A-range grade, roughly speaking. The entire reason U of T law switched to this silly system was to protect the delicate constitution of its students, who can't cope with getting Cs 🙂

I have no direct experience with U of T, but I expect most medalists would be straight HH students with a few Hs. You needed to be slightly better than a straight-A student to medal at Osgoode in my year (although a B+ could be made up for with a few extra A+s).

There is some faction of professors that do deliberately maximize the amount the amount of LPs they give (up to 10%), for the reason that P is supposed to stand for "Pass with Merit", and without the use of the LP grade the "merit" part isn't credible. I do roll my eyes at the grading scheme in general though. More Faculties at UofT are thinking of adopting it as well, like the Rotman MBA program.