Articling Recruit & 2L Summer Job Search

halamadrid

halamadrid
  • Law Student

For the articling recruit, how many BigLaw firms generally participate because I'm assuming most of them will hire back all of their summer students. For those who have gone through the articling recruit, do you have any advice for standing out?  

I wasn't successful through the 2L recruit and I have yet to secure summer employment. I've tried cold emailing firms but all seem to not be hiring (or have already hired students). If I can't secure a legal job for this summer how much will this hurt my chances in the articling recruit? 

LMP
  • Articling Student

Not too many big law firms participate and those that do don't hire too heavily. At least in Toronto. 

Not having a summer job isn't great, but it doesn't mean you're doomed for the articling recurit. All the same, keep doing what you're doing, do not stop applying. Securing something is far from impossible for the summer. 

• Like 1

LMP
  • Articling Student

For sure, every extra bit of experince is helpful. If you do start non-legal summer work, make sure it goes on the resumes you're submitting to the articling recruit. 

Plus, you can keep applying to legal jobs while doing a non-legal one. 

• Like 1

MissRepresented
  • Lawyer
On 5/6/2023 at 12:20 PM, halamadrid said:

Do you think doing a non-legal job is worth it? 

Absolutely. Even more so if it's in the service industry. Firms like students with customer service experience.

• Like 1

SNAILS
  • Articling Student

The move I would make, if I were you, is to cold email several firms (smaller ones who did not take part in the formal recruit) and just offer to volunteer for the experience. The clock is ticking before we go back to law school.

Scrivener
  • Articling Student
On 5/5/2023 at 5:51 PM, halamadrid said:

If I can't secure a legal job for this summer how much will this hurt my chances in the articling recruit? 

If it's any consolation, I didn't have a summer job for 1L or 2L, and I still had interviews for Articling through OCI's, including in big firms. My situation is likely a bit different as a mature student, but they would have seen that gap on the resume and decided to meet me anyway.

On 5/6/2023 at 3:20 PM, halamadrid said:

Do you think doing a non-legal job is worth it? 

That resume I mentioned? 90% Customer Service, and it goes over very well. They do seem to appreciate a candidate who works well with others. I like to imagine they're also weeding out folk who lack any humility or see themselves as "above" this work, but that could be my active imagination.

• Like 1