Should I ask my firm if they'll cover my bus pass?

newbie99

newbie99
  • Law Student

The firm I summered at last year would reimburse me for the cost of my bus pass. I'll be starting on Monday and would really love to save as much money as I could, should I asked if they'd cover my bus pass this summer or is it not worth asking. I'm just scared to come across as greedy but not sure how to proceed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

Is this the same firm? If it is, it would be reasonable to expect them to provide the same benefits they did last year and ask respectfully if they are going to cover your bus pass again. 

If it isn’t: 

image.thumb.png.5ad8ab17acf076f75a697f8e5e6b2e1a.png

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

newbie99
  • Law Student

No it isn't the same firm, which is why I'm a bit on the fence and if it's even worth asking... I'm not sure if this is even the norm for firms to do this but it would be nice.

Are you the only student? If yes, I suppose you can ask but it certainly isn't common. 

If no, I'd forget it. 

I do know someone who had their transit costs covered.

I don’t think they were paid anything else though. 

utahjazz
  • Law Student

As another data point. I am summering and my firm is covering the cost of a bus pass as well as reimbursing students for our phone bills. About 10 students, 130ish lawyers in our office. 

I don't think you should feel hesitant to ask. I think most employers, at the very least, are going to know that most students are hurting for cash. It seems silly if they got salty over you merely asking. 

• 2 weeks later...
Songbird
  • Lawyer

phone bill reimbursement is relatively common. I haven't heard of transit reimbursement though.