2L recruit in multiple cities

neonisblue

neonisblue
  • Applicant

I'm interested in participating in the 2L recruit for both Calgary and Vancouver as I have ties to both cities and am open to practicing in either location. Do firms know/care if you participate in both recruits? I've heard conflicting things about this, some saying it's not a good look and some saying it doesn't matter.

If anyone has experience doing both recruits in recent years, would love to hear your experience.

GoatDuck
  • Law Student

Not a lot, but it may be helpful. I’ve been told by a recruiter from a Calgary firm that they (the recruiting people?) see when you apply for summer positions at their firm in different cities, and this adds to the perception of you being a flight risk in cases when (1) you’re going to school outside of the AB and (2) you are applying to the firm’s office in the same province where you’re going to school. So if you’re a law student in BC participating in the Vancouver and Calgary recruits, the Calgary firm may be inclined to view you as a flight risk if they see that you’ve also applied to their Vancouver office.

GoatDuck
  • Law Student

I should add, I was told the above info in a conversation where I made it clear that I had no Calgary connection but had strong prairie connection. So idk how that applies in your case