1L Toronto Recruit tips and advice? Regrets?

y2199

y2199
  • Law School Admit

Hi all, I'm entering 1L in September and thought I'd start getting up to speed with the whole 1L summer job process. I really would appreciate any tips since I am super new to the whole process. My basic understanding is that it is very competitive.

Should I reach out to lawyers who work at the participating firms? If so, how should I go about doing this? I noticed on the Blake's website that I should be reaching out to people who work there.

When do applications start? I noticed the due date is Jan 2022, but as of right now they are inactive.

Do firms also do OCIs for 1Ls?

What are some tips for good resumes and cover letters?

Does your undergrad history count for a lot? i've never published a paper or won any fancy award, just the dean's honours list. Although my extracurricular participation and accomplishments are quite notable.

I appreciate the help!

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

I generally don't think reaching out to lawyers at participating firms is helpful for the formal recruits, and I think it's even less helpful for the 1L recruit. The exception is natural connections. A lot of the 1L firms send representatives to o-week events or random events on campus, and if you hit it off with a lawyer there's no problem with keeping in touch and letting them know you're applying come January. 

Instead of contacting lawyers, my advice would be to try to build up a good network of upper year friends. Once you get your grades and have an idea of whether or not you're competitive, reach out to your network and see if they can put you in touch with any of the students from your school who work at the firms you're interested in. I personally did this after I knew which firms offered me interviews, because: (i) I'm a procrastinator; (ii) it saves everyone time if you don't get an interview; and (iii) there's plenty of time between call day and interviews. 

Applications are usually due around the third week of January, and there are no OCIs—you go straight from application to in firm week. In firm week takes place over the reading week, on Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday. It'll be the week after the February long weekend. 

Your school will likely have example cover letters/resumes. Look at those. You can also ask upper years who got jobs you're interested in if they would be willing to share their materials with you, or if they would be able to take a look at your application materials. 

Undergrad history can help, but it's really about your 1L grades and your resume/cover letter. All the firms will ask for your undergrad transcript, but a bad undergrad transcript isn't going to sink you.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1