Ottawa vs. Windsor - Please Help!!

lawyerpk

lawyerpk
  • Applicant

Hi! 

I have acceptances from both Ottawa and Windsor and I'm super grateful! I'm having a tough time deciding which school to go to. I want to factor in tuition and residence costs as well as which school will help me the most in my journey to become a human rights lawyer. 

What do you guys think? Any and all advice is a major help! 🙂 

• 4 weeks later...
sarcasticlemon
  • Law Student

Ottawa I can sorta speak to, although not a current student at U of O I have friends who are and I lived in Ottawa for 5 years. 

Ottawa is well known for public law. You’ll find a lot of like minded students there. 

Great location to set up in if you want to work in government. 

you can choose to do the social justice “option” and design your JD around human rights 

U Ottawa has some great public interest clinic. Experiential learning opportunities vary by school, so I’d check out which clinics and moots the school does and compare which connects to you the most. 

Cost of a one bedroom in Ottawa is average is around 1800 but in Sandy Hill (where OttawaU is) you can still find great places for much less (around 1400$)

if you like to work in eastern Ontario, a lot of firms in Ottawa prefer to hire Ottawa grads. 

Ottawa has a good network of alumni. 

It is really cold in the winter! Bonus if you like to ski, Quebec is right there and winter sports are big in eastern Ontario. 

Ottawa is a quieter city. It won’t have the crazy night life, if that’s what you like. 

Best of luck!

Edited by sarcasticlemon
  • Like 1

lawyerpk
  • Applicant
19 hours ago, sarcasticlemon said:

Ottawa I can sorta speak to, although not a current student at U of O I have friends who are and I lived in Ottawa for 5 years. 

Ottawa is well known for public law. You’ll find a lot of like minded students there. 

Great location to set up in if you want to work in government. 

you can choose to do the social justice “option” and design your JD around human rights 

U Ottawa has some great public interest clinic. Experiential learning opportunities vary by school, so I’d check out which clinics and moots the school does and compare which connects to you the most. 

Cost of a one bedroom in Ottawa is average is around 1800 but in Sandy Hill (where OttawaU is) you can still find great places for much less (around 1400$)

if you like to work in eastern Ontario, a lot of firms in Ottawa prefer to hire Ottawa grads. 

Ottawa has a good network of alumni. 

It is really cold in the winter! Bonus if you like to ski, Quebec is right there and winter sports are big in eastern Ontario. 

Ottawa is a quieter city. It won’t have the crazy night life, if that’s what you like. 

Best of luck!

Thank you so much for the insight! I did end up choosing UOttawa and I'm really excited 🙂